Rider (Jez's Book) Contest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1325 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  12:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hi. As you may know Jez finally released his book Rider which talks about life on the road and touring with Swervedriver. The book is priced well and you can even download a copy at a discount. I am enjoying my copy. Get yours here:
http://www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php?fBuyContent=508316

I'm sending an email out to the mailing list today about Jez's book. Jez has kindly agreed to offer up a couple of autographed copies as prizes for a little contest.

If you want to enter the contest just post a memory of yours about swervedriver in this thread. I'll select random winners in early February and figure out the prizes with Jez.

Adam's 'All Happening Now' 36 songs project
http://adamfranklin.bandcamp.com/album/all-happening-now-disc-one
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/all-happening-now-1/id906424105

New Swervedriver music
http://swervedriver.bandcamp.com
http://tym-records.com/blog/2013/8/20/tym014-swervedriver

AF & BofM Band Camp - http://adamfranklin.bandcamp.com/
Adam Franklin Sound Cloud - https://soundcloud.com/adam-franklin
Twittter - https://twitter.com/SwervedriverUK
https://twitter.com/AFBoltsofMelody

CEddy10165
Passenger

87 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  12:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit CEddy10165's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jez was always my favorite drummer from the generation SWD was recording (Jim Chamberlain from Smashing Pumpkins is #2).

I was always a freak for the songs and lyrics, as well as the overall sonics, but Jez was always my favorite instrumentalist in the band, so my fave live memory is of him.

I was lucky enough to catch the Swervies many times on the 1998 tour, but the ABSOLUTE gig for me was downstairs at the Pearl Street in Northhampton, CT. USA. There were maybe 50-75 people in the room, but I made sure I got there waaay to early to snag a spot front and center in front of the very short (18 inch stage).

I got to spend the whole night awash in the sonic splendor, and got to watch Jez play from about 5 feet in front of his kitóit was a dream. He amazed me all not. Not only at his solid time keeping, but the creative way he played in and around the songs. Some of the tastiest grooves ever.

OK, so I love Jez. It has nothing to do with this contest and I'd share those feeling about him to anyone, BUT an autographed copy of his book would be cool!

Congrats and cheers Jez! We've been waiting a long time to read this book. Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

Molly
Swervelette

1 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  12:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My memories of Jez relate to my time spent as guitarist for RXN in Warrington, England. Bloody good drummer.

How you doing Jez? Glad you went on to do something as good as Swervedriver. I'm teaching in New Zealand. All's well.

Remember standing in the manager's kitchen and my announcing that I "... couldn't stand that guitarist" - the one that turned-out to be the manager's son...)? Oops. Six day's notice for that gig at the college? After all that work I remember being kind of gutted that Andy got up for the 'She Sells Sanctuary' encore and I finished the gig stood in the audience... Never mind.

All the best Jez.

Brian Molyneux.
Go to Top of Page

Jez Sullivan
Swervelette

35 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  1:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jez Sullivan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I first saw Swervedriver at Dingwalls in Camden in August 1998. My flatmate had got me into them and it was great to see them at that gig and the later LA2 gig in Sept/Oct? 98.

They were awesome and I accidently bumped into Debbie Smith from Curve, when I said ' Hi Debbie' she looked at me all gone out as if she knew me;)

www.jeztone.com

www.jezsullivan.com
Go to Top of Page

sunjan
Swervelette

1 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  2:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Swervie memories...
Wish I had seen them guys live more, but I only ever catched one gig. Stockholm, Studion 1996, the one that was broadcast on Swedish radio P3 Live later on.

Here's my original posting on the Scandinavian Indie mailing list, it's still online after 10 years!
=====================================
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 19:07:20 +0100
Subject: Swervedriver

>Btw, saw Swervedriver put on a good show last night, in front of surprisingly many people. As expected two other from the hard core of scan-indie Stockholmers were there, Jan & Ludde. I wonder if Jan got his interview?

Yeah, i sneaked in backstage afterwards and asked a few questions. I'll type down the answers, just have to listen thru the tape.

They are great guys, but maybe they were a bit "detatched" during the gig, the first half at least. In the beginning they didn't even look at the audience, but midway in (...Never Lose that Feeling) it changed, and the groove became massive.

The last song were awesome, much more drums than the album versions, and a fat distinct bass. Swedish Radio P3 Live recorded (check it out, Erik!), so this event is documented for the future.

Jan Sundstrom

(from http://www.lysator.liu.se/~chief/SID/sid-309.html)
Drop me a PM if I should win the book, BTW!
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  5:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to see a Soundgarden/Monster Magnet show in Mexico. I had no idea at the time that there would be another band playing that night. So, after Magnet was done, on walk these scrappy looking dudes. I was like "Man, Chris Cornell looks way different in person!" Yeah, right. After the first lick of Adams guitar, the floor of the hall went wild. I spent the next five songs being tossed about and then I finally made my way out so I could listen a bit more. What a night.

A few months passed and I finally cought up with my friend that I went to the show with. We talked about the concert and had a few laughs. He reminded me that it was Swervedriver who had played and he urged me to pick up a copy of "Raise".

Well,it was 1993 and I had just one day left in the military. I went out on the town one last time and happened upon a music store. I found a copy of "Raise" on cassette tape and I grabbed it. That night I got so wasted on caffeine I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest.
I laid in my rack one last time with my walkman on. I listened to "Deep Seat" and "Sandblased" over and over again until it was time to get up and begin my life as a civilian. I walked off that ship and never looked back, no lie!
I caught a cab and went straight away to the train station. I sat waiting for my train with Swervedriver in my headphones.

After a long journey I made it back to my home town. I spent the better part of the next 6 months getting drunk,stoned, and catching up with old friends. I lived in my car pretty much and had plenty of money for gas,drugs,and booze from my unemployment checks.

I drove and drove and drove. Miles upon miles everyday, seeing where roads would take me. My soundtracks were "Raise" and "Mescal Head".

We ride the warp of space into the womb of night.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3328 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  04:28:20 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Uhh...I don't really have any good SWD stories, but uhh...I got all the singles!

Go to Top of Page

mc chilean seabass
Swervelette

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  05:51:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit mc chilean seabass's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw Swervedriver play the Cat's Cradle for Mezcal Head. I was so amped about it that I did something I've never done for any band, I drove to The 40 Watt in Athens for the next night's show. In an Alfa 164. When I walked into the 40 Watt Adam was playing pool and I was too scared to say hi. During the show I parked myself in two places, 1st, right in front on the bass amp which sounded BALLS huge, and then on stage left corner, watching what I can only describe as synchronized pedal stomping. So good. After the show I got in the car and drove home on an empty highway, I know I pushed it to 120 a couple times. I don't know what that has to do with the show, but it happened. Swervedriver is still one of my favorite bands of like, ever. I ran into Jack Rabid at the old Luxx club in Brooklyn. I worship his mag, and he worships Swervedriver, so again I have no idea what that has to do with anything.
Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  05:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow welcome to all the new/lurking folks! The list email brought out some new names for sure. Please hang out and join some conversations.

Hmmm swervedriver stories... probably one of my most favorite was seeing the guys on an early tour (raise?) at a small club in Columbia S.C. Since its a small college town you could tell that maybe half of the crowd actually knew who the band was but man they rawked anyway. That was also my first time seeing the band live myself so I was completely unprepared for how great Deepseat sounded live. Still gives me goosebumps.

Another not so favorite memory is driving ~5 hours to see swervedriver support pumpkins in Chapel Hill. Me and 5 friends crammed in my mustang ford (no shit) and drove up for the show. I think only one of us at that point had a credit card to get a room. So we got one room and all of us crashed on the floor later that night. The show was magnificent and the guys were certainly on a good vibe on stage. Arghhh Duress was the encore and one of my stupid buddies decided to walk outside and couldn't get back in so I was trying to help him get in for most of the song.
So after the set/before pumkins came out we stepped outside to try to catch the band. Saw Jez heading out of the club en route to the bus and yelled "Man you guys did a great set!" or something stupid like that. Of course I'm terrible at being star-struck but he turned his head as to know that we had yelled something at him and kept walking without a wave or anything. :( I cry... well not really but I'm sure there was some tasty pizza and beer on the bus or something. :)

Multichick: I'm right there with ya on the meeting Adam thing. Me and the wife were able to catch the Mini-tour a while back in Charlotte and the club was tiny. So before their set Adam and the guys were hanging out playing pool like 5 feet away and it took all I had in me to go over and shake the guys hand and say hi. My wife still laughs about that.
Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1035 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  10:25:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jez Sullivan

I first saw Swervedriver at Dingwalls in Camden in August 1998. My flatmate had got me into them and it was great to see them at that gig and the later LA2 gig in Sept/Oct? 98.

These were the two Swervedriver gigs I was lucky enough to attend. Before the LA2 gig I was lucky enough to have a beer with Adam, Jimmy and Steve and get my shirt signed (I don't really remember what I said to them as I was hammered) I was informed that 'Jez would be along soon', but he never showed. I think you owe me Jez!

By the way, Swervedriver are my favourite band. Bar none.

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1441 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
jamesg - was that Raise tour 1992 or 1993? I can't remember when SWD came through ATL - saw them at a small club above some restaurant in midtown. It's all real hazy due to imbibnation or something.

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

joedive
Swervelette

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Memories of a Swervie time

I have been a huge Swervedriver fan ever since my friend loaned me his Raise cassette back in 1991. I listened to it all the time and eventually wore it out from overplay im my crappy old Toyota Camry. Shortly thereafter Mezcal Head was released. I did the same to that cassette (didn't even have a CD player yet!). I drove around the desert delivering pizza while blasting Duel at top volume. Damn, that song always rocks so hard! Swervedriver toured shortly after the release of Mezcal Head and my friend Alex and I had tickets to see them at the Troubador in Hollywood. But first, I had procured some very sketchy weed from a very sketchy source out in Lancaster, CA. Alex and I drove down to LA to do a little skateboarding before going to the show later that night.

When we finally arrived at the Troubador we noticed quite a bit of people hanging outside the club. We were excited and wanted so badly to get in there. First we had to find a parking spot, so we drove up a little hill and found a spot on a quiet residential street. Before we exited the car I pulled out a joint rolled with the weed in question. It was dry and brittle and very harsh tasting. To wash it down we both shared a terrible and warm Budweiser 40oz purchased earlier in the day. We were just about finished when Alex said, "Joe, you should just swallow the rest of that roach, there is a lot of THC still in there" So without hesitation I took the charred little thing and popped it in my mouth. I took a swig of the sick beer and we both left the car.

While walking down the hill to the club I instantly started feeling dizzy and sick. We made it to the entrance, gave our tickets to the cashier and walked in. Some local band called Super 31 were already playing. They were a shoegaze inspired LA band that actually sounded pretty good. We stood there and watched them for a while. I started feeling worse and began to sway. Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, I was on the ground, my heart beating fast and sweating profusely. Alex helped me up and we headed for the balcony. I was saying things I don't recall. I remember Alex saying something about there maybe being PCP in the marijuana that we just smoked (and swallowed!!). Anyway, we were up in the balcony and I saw an empty seat, I lurched forward to sit and...BAM!!! I hit my head very hard on a low beam. I didn't see it and I fell right into the seat. Some girl sitting nearby said "Oh my god, are you alright?!" I didn't know what was happening, I was totally fucked. I sat and tried to relax. Alex brought me some water. The first band played for a little longer then left the stage. I was starting to feel better, but tripping kind of badly.

Soon, SWERVEDRIVER took the stage. I vaguely recall them filing out. I remember Adam Franklin strapping on his guitar and Jez setting up behind his kit. A few minutes later I heard the opening chords to the song She's Beside Herself. That song has always been one of my favorite Swervie B-sides. Oh my god, it sounded so great. I remember coming out of a weird depressed state and into this beautiful sonic tapestry which was being created right down there in front of me. I still remember the way I felt listening to the songs that night; Sandblasted, Duel, Blowin' Cool (awesome bass line and drumming in that song), and Never Loose that Feeling...so great, so gigantic sounding. I've always felt that Swervedriver songs were transcendent, but that night those songs kept me from going under, kept me from going to the dark side. I enjoyed the whole set and wanted it to never end. I'm not sure if the boys in the band even remember that show, but I sure did.

What a strange night, what a great show. Swerverdriver, god damn, you guys were great and I still listen to you all the time. Probably the best live band I have ever seen. I saw them again in 1998 in San Francisco and they still rocked just as hard. I just can't say enough about how great you guys were. Oh, yeah, and thanks for saving my life that night...much appreciated!

Cheers!

Joe

Edited by - joedive on 12/14/2006 11:58:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Trey Bruschke
Swervelette

2 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bradsears

Hi. As you may know Jez finally released his book Rider which talks about life on the road and touring with Swervedriver. The book is priced well and you can even download a copy at a discount. I am enjoying my copy. Get yours here:

I'm sending an email out to the mailing list today about Jez's book. Jez has kindly agreed to offer up a couple of autographed copies as prizes for a little contest.

If you want to enter the contest just post a memory of yours about swervedriver in this thread. I'll select random winners in early February and figure out the prizes with Jez.

Go to Top of Page

Trey Bruschke
Swervelette

2 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well not to tell on myself but when Graham and Co. split from the Swervedriver we were very concerned we'd never see the band live and they would probably suck as the whole rhythm section had been gutted. But surprise, surprise Swervedriver in America with 2 other great bands (Chapterhouse and Stuffies) and 3 others that totally blow. What a great opportunity to take some psychedelic mushrooms and fully experience the band. So we fill up the van with the gang of drug addicts and were off to Salt Air. In Utah there is something called 'the inversion' where everything smells like a toilet. So you can stay inside and smell the kids or go outside and smell the shite. Pop in my boomers as we walk up to the venue, Chapterhouse sound good but there are just too many of them on stage to really appreciate their sound and the sound guy isn't quite sure what to do with 3 guitar players. Some guy comes out singing about a kite, then FINALLLY !!! New line up in tack. Swervedriver take the stage, Adam looks like someone pissed in his cheerios and it turns out they had. 'SOME ASSHOLE IN BACK TOLD US WE HAVE 20 MINUTES' Shawhaaaatttt!!!! With psychedelic enhancements in full effect. Son of a Mustang Ford, Sandblasted and Last Train to Satansville. Nice pretty shiny gold Jazzmaster, swerlie colors and Adam just doesn't want to quit. Noise fest !!! Noise Fest !!! Steve on Bass is wearing a 'I Suck Dick for Crack' shirt and who is this guy on drums. Jez the man. But you only get 20 minutes, sorry blokes... Whaaaaaa being in the altered state I was in, they were just fking with my head right !? That can't possibly be the worst show Swervedriver ever played or will ever play. I clearly remember tracers off drum sticks, colorful cymbals and what a great rhythm section. I mean really. Then Theraphy came out for a fking hour, some other douchebag band and then the Wonderstuff who were less than wonderful caused us to leave early. Knocking on tour bus doors trying to apologize to the only true act on the tour but only to be shut down by security chasing me like the psychedelic monkey I was throughout the parking area.

quote:
Originally posted by bradsears

Go to Top of Page

camster
Swervelette

12 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  1:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit camster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, this book should be full of fun stories.

My favorite Swervedriver memories consist of driving through Texas, my new home at the time, to see Swervedriver in Dallas, Austin and Houston, with a buddy of mine known as Cheese. You may have seen the footage we shot from the Tower Records store in Austin. It came out quite smashingly. We had the feeling that with everything that had gone wrong, this might well be the last tour and we were making every effort to catch (and tape) as many shows as possible. Later on, we caught up with them in Cincinnatti and Columbus OH (my old home). I remember they did one intense version of "She's Beside Herself" at Sudsy Malone's in Cinci. I was just standing in the audience getting washed over by the waves of sound thinking "wow, we got this on tape! awesome!" As it turns out, the tour manager forced Cheese to stop taping despite the prior clearance from Adam. All for the best, there would be no way to relive that, so its best not to try.

I also have to say getting the fan club produced 2D set of live swervie stuff with everyone's pics in it was about the coolest fan boy thing ever.

--camster
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3328 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  1:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by camster

Heh, this book should be full of fun stories.

My favorite Swervedriver memories consist of driving through Texas, my new home at the time, to see Swervedriver in Dallas, Austin and Houston, with a buddy of mine known as Cheese. You may have seen the footage we shot from the Tower Records store in Austin. It came out quite smashingly. We had the feeling that with everything that had gone wrong, this might well be the last tour and we were making every effort to catch (and tape) as many shows as possible. Later on, we caught up with them in Cincinnatti and Columbus OH (my old home). I remember they did one intense version of "She's Beside Herself" at Sudsy Malone's in Cinci. I was just standing in the audience getting washed over by the waves of sound thinking "wow, we got this on tape! awesome!" As it turns out, the tour manager forced Cheese to stop taping despite the prior clearance from Adam. All for the best, there would be no way to relive that, so its best not to try.

I also have to say getting the fan club produced 2D set of live swervie stuff with everyone's pics in it was about the coolest fan boy thing ever.

--camster

Same Camster from the STG?

Go to Top of Page

gfaustino
Swervelette

1 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  4:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Swervedriver were my band for a long time. Never saw you live, never knew a lot about you before all this internet thing. What I know is I somehow got all your albums and remember some of the best moments of my teens with some of your musics in my head.

The day I drove you to the fair, undying love was born out there...
Go to Top of Page

revenantive
Swervelette

6 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  06:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i first heard swervedriver on the radio while i was delivering pizza as a teenager fresh out of high school. i'll never forget those first notes of "Rave Down" blaring through my car stereo because i almost crashed my car due to sensory overload.

in 1993, some friends and i piled into my car and drove up to chicago to see the Pumpkins with SWD opening. i'm pretty sure this show was at the Avalon. But anyway, on the way up from Saint Louis along I-55, a friendly Illinois State Trooper pulled us over. As I rolled down the window, the smoke from our joints wafted right out onto the officers face. (yes, we were total fucking idiots...) Thankfully, there was a car accident up the road and the cop let us off with a warning. And best of all, he didn't take our pot away, lol!

so, in 1998, when SWD was touring the states, SWD had a stop here in Saint Louis at a place called the Galaxy. When I found out my fave band was playing, and didn't have an opener for the show, I pulled out all the stops to get that slot for my band, Colorspace ( www.myspace.com/colorspace ). I called up the club booking manager and was pleased to find out that we were among the two bands he was considering for the open slot in the first place. But, unfortunately, they chose our good friends, 'The Other Side' who had just reunited and had better press at the time. Oh well. It almost happened.

Many years later, Jez told me that he seemed to remember the janitors started to actually sweep the floor while SWD was finishing up their set that night.

well, those are my SWD stories. i hope that sometime in the future we can see that juggernaut ride again even if its just one night. i'd pay a king's ransom to attend. best. band. ever.

what would it take for SWD to play one more show? $10k? $25k? $30k?

i'm willing to put up a few grand if anyone else is...
Go to Top of Page

SledDawg
Swervelette

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  12:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit SledDawg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never saw the band, or knew anything about the band. Perhaps heard a track on WFMU and said, hmmm, what's this? Dunno, but somehow I got the first two albums on cassette and wore them out. The whole vibe completely clicked with me. To me, Swervedriver was what early Radiohead was trying to be, but better. The car thing, the space thing, it all fit so well. Still does.

In the 90s I had a very straight job that called for my travelling to Amsterdam a couple times a year. As soon as I was done with my meetings I would head for a coffee shop, do the deed, rent a bike and pedal off across the polders with my Swervedriver cassettes blasting on my walkman. Though I was alone, these were some of the happiest times of my life - free in the modern world, but with that bit of melancholy. It was like being in love with some one you didn't know, or waiting for love to come. Genius. Thank you. You sealed my fate.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
Swervelette

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  4:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the realease party in Amsterdam for Mescal Head, got a free Swervedriver water pistol then stood next to Jez while having a piss on the ferry back to England....beat that!
Go to Top of Page

jduel
Swervelette

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  4:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first memory of SWD were at the Hultsfred festival in 92, I missed that gig cos I was to drunk, the spirit of the youth isn't always to smart is it hehehe..Anyway I few years later, 1996, I went to 3 gigs in Sweden, LinkŲping, Stockholm, Gothenburg(not shure if it was Gothenburg or Lund) anyway, and that tour is by far the best gigs I ever witnessed..So thanks guys for giving a soundtrack that will last a lifetime

I'm lost, thank God I'm lost
Go to Top of Page

Buddy
Swervelette

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  10:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Buddy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I believe it was 1998 and I was going to school out in dreary Rochester New York... my friend that lived in NYC called and told me that Swervedriver was coming to town to play one night at the Mercury Lounge... I couldn't resist... Checked my bank account and figured I had enough money for a bus ticket and a ticket to the show. So I blew off school for a few days and took a 14 hour round trip bus ride to see Swervedriver. Best show I have ever been to... well worth it to miss three day of classes. The music is still in my head to this day...

Cheers.... Craig
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  08:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

I went to the realease party in Amsterdam for Mescal Head, got a free Swervedriver water pistol then stood next to Jez while having a piss on the ferry back to England....beat that!

I took a piss next to Bruce Foxworth of the JAM during break at their gig at the Rathskeller in Boston MASS back in 1977. Maybe that was before a lot of the Swervies were born, but whatever. No, I did not look over to see his dick, but he did ask me if I liked the "Album", which was their first release in US.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

sparksneon
Passenger

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  5:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First time I ever heard of Swervedriver was autumn 1991, wandering broke through Chicago's North Side one night listening to WXRT-FM on my walkman.
I bought a few scratch-off lottery tickets, figuring "what the hell". The first 2 were losers then, while scraping the last one "Rave Down" came on the radio. What a tune!
Oh yeah, I ended up winning $20 which somehow carried me until payday.
Go to Top of Page

frans
Passenger

Germany
83 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  06:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit frans's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Besides the story i fooled the band posing as a balinese sharkfisher? ( http://www.swervedriver.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=827 )
It's either me in Munich years after the demise of the band and showing Adam + Steve (?) my fanclub member card number 177.... or getting my pic in the swervie fanzine with the villagesign of "Fucking" (Austria) in the background...or posing in a stage play as Adams lost hair....cough, cough (not too much lines of dialog to learn for THAT role....

www.myspace.com/wearethebandthat

Edited by - frans on 01/02/2007 06:46:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

otaku
Swervelette

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  11:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the loudest show i've ever been to..!

The Tivoli Hotel..

Adelaide..

Australia..

Ejector seat tour..

i had some earplugs..

but invited a girl along and i gave her one of them..

my right eardrum has never been the same since..

Adam was very pissed by the time they played..

but Jez was on top form..

i've never seen an audience stand there in awe ..

not a sound from anyone..

Adam had to tell everyone it was over before anyone clapped..

fantastic..!

Go to Top of Page

Paulo
Swervelette

49 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  9:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I became a huge fan in 1991 when I first listened to the EPs. Later in 1993 I went living in Cambridge, UK, for a short period and every weekend I would take the train to london and spend the whole day wandering the streets of Camden Town in the hope of stumbling across Adam or the band. Unsuccessfully.
In july 1997 I saw the ad for a couple of Swervedriver shows, one in Boston and the other in New York. I was then totally fanatical about Ejector Seat Reservation so the next day I bought my ticket and flew all the way from Rio de Janeiro (where I live) to New York. I went to the first show in Boston wearing my self-made Swervedriver shirt (with ESR motives) and just as I was joining the line at TT The Bears someone came out of a van parked right in front and asked me where I had bought the shirt. I didn't recognize him because he was wearing sunglasses but I'm pretty sure now that it was Steve. I still regret not having recognized him, for I could have got my shirt signed and even arranged to have a coupla drinks with the guys after the show. Nothing's perfect...But the show was amazing.
Go to Top of Page

burningwheel
Assistant Driver

122 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  9:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit burningwheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the day i played 'Son of a Mustang Ford' when it was first released :)

+++++++++++++++++
SWD.Never lose that Feeling - NEW DESIGN!
http://www.swervedriver.net

You Can't Hide Your Love Forever. My music websites
http://www.loveisforever.org
Go to Top of Page

stef
Assistant Driver

Australia
123 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  01:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a GOLDEN Swervie memory. It is why Swervedriver means so much to me. The scene...It was the summer of 1992. I had just finished six years of uni and 18+ back to back years of schooling life. The world was finally my oyster. The relief was enormous. I was travelling with mates up the east coast of Australia. We had just spent 3 weeks in Byron Bay, body surfing, lazing in the sun on the beach, smoking spliffs and listening to Swervedriver, very loud in a beat up old Holden Gemini. Sunburnt, hair starting to dreadlock, wearing faded, oversized clothing. Fresh Youth.
I said goodbye to my mates and I went by myself up to a smallish town of Bundaberg (1300 klms north of Sydney) for six weeks of work. Each balmy night the cane fields burnt and the wind swept its sweet smell over the rundown house I was sharing with a few people by the sea. Iíd met a crazy chick and was feeling pensive and a little wild. Each night after work Iíd walk by myself, along the sea, messed up, joint in hand, waves lapping on the shore, watching the sun set over the cane fieldsÖ Swervedriver absolutely BLASTING in my ears. Every night. Swervedriver (& Ride) WERE that moment for me. That golden, wild, crazy, youth moment when the world was mine, that remains with me to this day as a stand alone, euphoric memory. Itís caught in my brain in the part where memory touches emotion. Whenever I hear Swervedriver I feel that perfect moment. Each night Iíd go to sleep with my walkman playing Raise. Over and over. And I thank the boys from Swervie from the bottom of my heart for that.

S.wW..eE...rRR...Vv..ii.eeeeeeaaaAAAhhhahhhahhhaaaar!!!
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  12:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great post dpete. Do get the book, I did, and it's really wonderful. Well written and Jez' sense of humor in depicting some of the more insane situations that overcame the touring band really come to the fore. You will laugh out loud in parts, or..wince.
All the fantasies I ever had while growing up, of joining a band and touring the land are well put to rest after reading Rider. I wouldn't have survived the experience. It takes steel cajones to go through experiences like that, and take things in stride. I would have become unglued, and ended up locked up in a Psych Hospital or...jail. Music yeah, touring...NO.
And...Jez promises a COOK BOOK. Can't wait, Jez....keep the books comin'.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

jxx
Passenger

60 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  08:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really getting a kick out of your stories everyone. Keep em coming. Touched & humbled in truth. Am also really happy that people seem to be liking the book. I was going to make it available on Amazon etc. but if I can avoid that I will.
I also wish I'd seen some of the shows you all have - especially the ones from before I was involved. Then again, I'm in contact with Adi on occasion - the LAST thing I'd want would be to be starstruck in front of him. He'd me merciless :)
Please spread the word & if you haven't added your Swervie story yet, please do. You're building quite a body of work here. Get involved. Thanks. And Eugene? Cook book is 70% there - and man there are some tales in that!Won't be too long, I promise. Food's alright too... jez x
Go to Top of Page

drmcd
Assistant Driver

USA
362 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  7:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friday, March 28, 1998... Swervedriver is in Chicago to play the Metro.

I'm working for a industrial marine supply company, delivering supplies to the ships that bring iron ore/gypsum/stone/salt to the industries on the south end of Lake Michigan. My schedule there had me working 10 days straight, then two days off for four years. I've given up my Rock n Roll Research and Development creed as a drummer, and living in a apartment above the shop with a artist buddy (the nephew of the shop's owner) in a economically depressed neighborhood on the SE side of Chicago. The view outside our living room window is a panorama of the Chicago Skyway bridge.

I finish my daily stuff around the shop, then check in with the shipping clearinghouse to look at the schedule for the next 24 hours. The SWD show is at 11:30 pm, and the next boat is due in earlier than expected - 4:45 am on Saturday. Damn. At least they have a smaller order - a couple barrels of oil, sundry maintenance supplies, mail, laundry, etc.

I'm determined to make this show, so I load my truck, and head upstairs to clean up/eat/nap. Around 8 pm I get in the Bronze Bomber (a slightly pimped out 1974 Plymouth Fury coupe), and head up LSD (Lake Shore Drive) to the north side to meet up with friends holding tickets and spliffs for the show.

SWD hits the stage after the opener, and belts out songs from the yet unreleased (or at least obtainable) 99th Dream. The sound at Metro is impeccable as usual, and the set list covers just about everything. Knowing that I have to be dockside in a few hours, I have to craft my buzz, but the sonic treats and being able to watch the boys at their craft make up for the difference. I'm on top of the world as we retire to another bar to wind down/recover hearing loss, and I split at 2 am to head back to the shop.

I'm now in my 4x4 truck, on a dock in a steel mill. There's purple mud on my boots and on the truck - iron ore has a purple/red hue, and is mined in little marble-sized pellets called taconite. The sky is also purple as morning breaks. I do my business, and in a impulsive move after checking to make sure I'm not seen, I find a remote portion of the dock to drop out of 4x4 mode and do some cookies in the truck on the taconite fields, with SWD in the tape deck.

I hit my local drive thru for some breakfast (the only fast food I'll eat), and the cute Latina girl working the window is new and giving my truck the eyeball, with the purple mud all over it. SWD is still on the deck, and she asks what am I listening to. I tell her, and she smiles and shakes her head.

Back at the shop, I munch my bacon/egg/cheese biscuit as I hose down my steed. Back upstairs for another nap, and I realize my ears are still ringing from last night.

And that was the last time I saw Swervedriver.

I already got the book in the mail today, so no need to count me in the running. Just wanted to share
Go to Top of Page

Billi West Oz
Swervelette

Australia
23 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  01:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I better put my 2 cents worth in.
I was at a local pub the other day with friends I was standing beside this girl and we started talking about how bad the cover band was that was playing there that night (think top40 R&B lead singer with an ego you get the drift) Well she asked what I listen to and I said my favorite band was Swervedriver thinking shes probably never heard of them like alot of people I talk to and she said she likes them aswell plus bands like Ride Mazzy Star etc. I was thinking to myself damn this girls got great taste in music. I mentioned to her I saw Swervedriver play at the Planet nightclub (R.I.P) here in Perth think it was around 97 and how blown away I was seeing you guys live and how great a night it was she smiled and said she was at the club working that night. So cut long story short we spent the next few hours talking about music, the pubs/clubs we used to go to and how we must of crossed paths countless times in the past and never met so we now exchanged phone numbers and plan on catching up with eachother this weekend. I have Swervedriver to thank for this and Jez if anything more becomes of this you can be my best man then again she may end up being a crazy old cat lady (hope not).

Great thing about Swervedriver is that I can listen to your music today and it still sounds as new and fresh as it has over the years and it never ages and only get better like a fine wine.

p.s Jez when you were in Perth during that tour a girl I know worked for Sony at the time I think she took you all out for dinner and she knew I was a fan so she got you guys to sign a ESR wallmount for me which takes pride of place in my house. Might be 10yrs too late but I would like to say cheers thanks for that!

Go to Top of Page

jxx
Passenger

60 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  12:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there - jez here. Just to let you know that at the end of this week (Friday 9th Feb) Brad & I will be sorting out who gets one of the three copies of my book that we're giving away, so if you haven't posted your Swervie memories yet, please go ahead & do so. It's been really great reading the posts so far - amusing, interesting & sometimes just plain funny (!).
I'll be scrawling my moniker in the books, so when you get them, please understand that they aren't damaged or second hand - it's just my style of writing...
Thanks again, jez x
Go to Top of Page

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1325 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  07:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi. I've done the draw and only 3 days late. The winners are:

joedive
otaku
dpete13

I'll email you right now. Thanks fopa all the entries. I know Jez really appreciated the memories.

Adam's 'All Happening Now' 36 songs project
http://adamfranklin.bandcamp.com/album/all-happening-now-disc-one
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/all-happening-now-1/id906424105

New Swervedriver music
http://swervedriver.bandcamp.com
http://tym-records.com/blog/2013/8/20/tym014-swervedriver

AF & BofM Band Camp - http://adamfranklin.bandcamp.com/
Adam Franklin Sound Cloud - https://soundcloud.com/adam-franklin
Twittter - https://twitter.com/SwervedriverUK
https://twitter.com/AFBoltsofMelody
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  5:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RATS!

Go to Top of Page

jxx
Passenger

60 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  3:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winners of the comp? Your books were mailed today... That might mean 2 weeks to get to South Australia (!), but if you don't get 'em in a couple of weeks let me know..And I'll laugh ;)

jez x
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  7:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummm, Jez. I didn't get mine yet.

Go to Top of Page

jxx
Passenger

60 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  12:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that Jeronimo - I believe your copy is waiting for you at www.lulu.com/badearth ... :)

jez x
Go to Top of Page

dpete13
Swervelette

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  05:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received the book Tuesday in the mail and finished it last night. Good read. Jez does a really good job of laying out life on the road. The writing style matches the stories; I felt like I was reading a long letter from a mate. The only down side is that I do not think that I will be able to eat crab the next time I go to Baltimore to catch a ball game. God bless Austin.

Iím going to buy an additional copy to thank Jez for the signed copy, and, of course, Iíve been spamming my friends to do the same. We should all support indie authors in the same fashion that we support indie bands. There are a ton of great indie books out there; unfortunately, the same support network isnít in place for the written word as it is for music. We should do what we can. (Where did this soap box come from?) ANYWAY.

Thanks again Jez. I really enjoyed it.
Go to Top of Page

INSTG8R
Swervelette

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  11:26:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see INSTG8R's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hah the stories I COULD tell about the Boys.
But I will share this fond one I will never forget. I first met them at Lees Palace as they were touring 99th Dream and we were all instant friends(my band at the time Lavender were huge fans) So basically we ended up following them all over Ontario and the Northern US not missing a show. Well the next show was in Hamilton at the Corktown and it was a great show but my Girlfriend and I missed the last bus back to TO and spent the night in a Coffee Time and over the time we spent there the Cashier gave us a big paper bag of Day Olds. Well we trucked it around most of the next morning and then had to make the trek to Kitchener(Im pretty sure tho someone can correct me as it was a long time ago) and I even made the joke to my GF that the boys would appreciate some donuts. Well we eventually ditched the donuts and made it to Kitchener(or maybe it was London...)ANYWAYS we met up with the boys before the show and hung out and we told them of our night in the Coffee Time and they of course apologized to us and said had they known of course we could have spent the night on the bus with them. NOW here is the kicker. I dont know if anyone has spent time with them like I had but Jimmy was the "Silent One" well when he heard about the donuts and how I had thought of them but threw them away I finally heard Jimmy say a full sentence "Donuts? Awww I woulda stowed them in me Bunk"
I love that memory more than any other but I have SO many between discussing set lists and then they becoming permanent(Your welcome for "Maelstrom" and "Bring me the Head..."and paying for shows when we were on the list etc.
I think of them often and I now live in Norway and am married and have even made attempts to track Jez and Steve as I miss them greatly.

Edit:
I still have all the setlists(I fought their rather gruff stage manager for the first few till he got the idea) and would gladly scan them and post them if they are of any interest to anyone

LOS SWERVIES!

Edited by - INSTG8R on 03/25/2007 11:28:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

burningwheel
Assistant Driver

122 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  5:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit burningwheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jez can i buy a signed copy directly from you?

+++++++++++++++++
SWD.Never lose that Feeling - NEW DESIGN!
http://www.swervedriver.net

You Can't Hide Your Love Forever. My music websites
http://www.loveisforever.org
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  08:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Shawn from toronto, Steve here, nice to hear from you! You lavender lot always made us feel welcome up there, though its all a bit of a blur. Yeah, Jim does love the donuts, it was one of his many nicknames for a while though he has had many (see also 'Penises Hartridge - Rider by Jez).
Hope Norway is treating you well, love to the lot of you.

JEZ ! - looking forward to the cookbook..(? intrigueing....)
Go to Top of Page

ghostieo
Swervelette

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  08:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit ghostieo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
has anyone read this yet? just wondering how it is...
Go to Top of Page

ZedheadUK
Swervelette

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  11:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Send ZedheadUK an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sooooooo where do I start? Jez aren't you, like me, one of the long suffering breed known as Leeds Utd fans? Anyhow... top swervies moments?!?!?!?! Used to hitch everywhere to see these guys....

Raise tour playing at ULU, London Town.... next to the merchandise stall was what seemed like a traditional cockney green grocer market stall - brilliance!!!! great music and a top up on your five a day

Reading Festival 1990.... Sunday afternoon I think...... it was busy with people standing and watching, probably didn't want to miss Nirvana! but there was a core of about 30, Nick, Ati, Claire and a few others going mental in a sea of thousands to Sandblasted and crowd surfing in a scaled down fashion.

Hitched all the way to Bristol which is a bich of a ride to see a very short gig, in a very small pub as part of Sound City..... but got 2 numbered copies of My Zephyr to show for my eforts!

Always have and always will love the Swervies..... and I'm soooooo upset that due to being childbound I will miss the first UK dates in Eons - come back soon and make it to Yorkshire next time!!!

John :-)
Go to Top of Page

ram76
Swervelette

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  2:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ghostieo

has anyone read this yet? just wondering how it is...

It's a fun little read. Some of Jez's stories had me giggling like Beavis & Butthead.

'Penises' Hartridge had me in stitches.
Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
566 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  6:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jxx

Sorry to hear that Jeronimo - I believe your copy is waiting for you at www.lulu.com/badearth ... :)

jez x

ordered my copy today. late, i know...

oink
Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  7:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man I might have to pull this out and read it again over the weekend! Nice dig WWS!
Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
566 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  06:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, better late than never...
anyone from L.A. on here?

oink
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.22seconds. Snitz Forums 2000