Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  07:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

Can - One more night

Thanks for the suggestion Loper, just ran into the other room and put on the SACD of Ege Bamyasi. Taking a "sick day," today. Just chillin' out listening to tunes.......

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  08:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah man.

Ege Bamyasi is incredible from start to finish. I like that one a lot because the tunes are paired down a bit unlike Tago Mago.

How is SACD anyway as a format? Noticeably better than CD 16 bit?

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  12:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say that depends, mainly on the source material, and how much care was spent on mastering for SACD. Also depends on your set up. On a decent SACD player / universal DVD player with a decent amp - good speakers, SACD can sound amazing. The recent SACD release of Pixies' Surfer Rosa is just awesome. The Can SACDs are great too. Everything just sounds clearer, maybe a little more defined, and these are 2 chanel recordings. The Dark Side Of The Mood 5.1 SACD is just out of this world! It's hard to listen to any other version now. On the other hand, The Rolling Stones Abkco SACDs are very hit and miss, mostly due to poor analog sources for some of the material. A few of the great ones are Between The Buttons (UK), Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet, and Satanic Majesties.

A few years ago I had a very cheap universal DVD player that supported SACD, and I really didn't think SACD was that great, no better than regular CD, last year I upgraded my SACD player and reciever, and I have to say I love the format now. I now have a great new way to waste money - hunting down all of those Japanese import Miles Davis SACDs! Oh yeah, and the vinyl too.....

But at the end of the day, if you have a great turntable, and good vinyl, it may not be worth it to go nuts w/ SACD. A good example - my wife had an old vinyl copy of Bowies' Let's Dance that sounded awesome, so I picked up the SACD version, and the vinyl just blows the SACD away. No contest. Just more toys to play with.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  3:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh Yeah, Petrol Visions..one of my fav Burns...will check my CD stack and find it. Thanks.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  4:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Everybody Knows" - Leonard Cohen

What a brilliant writer.
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  7:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Porcupine Tree- "Even Less"

We ride the warp of space into the womb of night.
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  02:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a champion - Adam to be that cool... If you are reading this by chance Adam, please come to visit Australia again.

When you mentioned Petrol Visions had it I thought you were saying the John David Souther track was on it. Had to listen to Lie In The Sound once more. I burn would be great Geno. I listened to Faithless Love but couldnt find the other you suggested yet. Its a bit of a foreign style to me.

Today though
Shearwater - La Dame Et La Licorne and then Red Sea Black Sea

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton

Edited by - crozarey on 08/30/2007 02:07:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  05:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brooks

I would say that depends, mainly on the source material, and how much care was spent on mastering for SACD. Also depends on your set up. On a decent SACD player / universal DVD player with a decent amp - good speakers, SACD can sound amazing. The recent SACD release of Pixies' Surfer Rosa is just awesome. The Can SACDs are great too. Everything just sounds clearer, maybe a little more defined, and these are 2 chanel recordings. The Dark Side Of The Mood 5.1 SACD is just out of this world! It's hard to listen to any other version now. On the other hand, The Rolling Stones Abkco SACDs are very hit and miss, mostly due to poor analog sources for some of the material. A few of the great ones are Between The Buttons (UK), Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet, and Satanic Majesties.

A few years ago I had a very cheap universal DVD player that supported SACD, and I really didn't think SACD was that great, no better than regular CD, last year I upgraded my SACD player and reciever, and I have to say I love the format now. I now have a great new way to waste money - hunting down all of those Japanese import Miles Davis SACDs! Oh yeah, and the vinyl too.....

But at the end of the day, if you have a great turntable, and good vinyl, it may not be worth it to go nuts w/ SACD. A good example - my wife had an old vinyl copy of Bowies' Let's Dance that sounded awesome, so I picked up the SACD version, and the vinyl just blows the SACD away. No contest. Just more toys to play with.

Nice. Yeah, I'm almost afraid to get involved because I don't wanna be totally spoiled. I do wanna hear that Dark Side 5.1 though.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  05:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eugene, thanks for that info. I got your e-mail and I was very impressed. I'm starting to get stoked for the show. I've never been to the Cactus Club but it looks like a small venue. Should be a very up close and personnal gig. I have to go through my CD's and figure out which ones for Adam to sign.

"Scraw and Scream"- SWD

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  08:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today,

Wolves - Traindodge

If you like Riddle of Steel, you'll like this band.

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  01:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And you'll like my favourite track of the day;

Schooled In Victory - Mudshark

I better check out Traindodge too..

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  5:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Deep Seat" from the 4-11-91 Holland show.
Adams end solo is fantastic. The perfect ending to an incredible song.

Edited by - Jeronimo on 09/05/2007 9:23:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  7:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Coud Cult - "start new"
off - Advice from the Happy Hippopotamus

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  08:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few.

I listened to the first Toshack last night. Its such a depature from Swervedriver but it seems to me that Adam's voice is more suited to this type of music. IMO its a very good take on the direction he is now going. " harlem, i've lost the feeling, i thought i saw my ship a-coming, sisyphus" are my favs.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  12:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really dig the 1st Toshack too. Great chill out CD. It's almost if that album is the 'next morning' after SWD, music for the SWD hangover if you will. I'm glad he seems to have really built upon that to the point of Bolts Of Melody.

Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  01:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siouxsie and the Banshees - 'Green Fingers' from A Kiss In The Dreamhouse

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  06:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Static Age by Misfits off of Legacy of Brutality. Perfect for driving to work on a hot hazy morning, when the sun makes everything seem to glow a reddish hue. Yeah.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  09:50:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got a few today:

Your Touch - The Black Keys (pretty sure I heard his on a jeans commercial the other day)
Control - Mute Math
Cosmopolitan - Nine Black Alps
Seasons - Chris Cornell

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  4:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I've posted this one not long ago but,it rocks.

Van Halen- Romeo Delight

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  01:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smog - Bloodflows

Have you guys ever listened to Smog before?

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  3:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toshack Highway- "The Sounds and The Times"

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  6:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

No Croz - never heard 'em? what are they like?

Today...
Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 - "The Operation"
off - Strangers From The Universe

Interloper - have you heard these guys? you might like...

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  06:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill Calahan has a very deep voice and writes very poignant songs. I like him as he isnt real wishy washy - he sings about mundane stuff in a way that makes you think "Ive thought that!" and that in turn makes me think that Im not completely fucked in the head. A bit like Paul Kelly although he's real american. Here is a link, although his lp Dongs Of Sevotion is my current favourite. Check out Dress Sexy At My Funeral for one track that was quite popular in Australia via JJJ exposure in 99.

http://www.myspace.com/smoggertone

Today

Catherine Wheel - Sparks Are Gonna Fly

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  06:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday's Papers - Rolling Stones. I've woke up w/ this in my head the last few morning.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  08:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New favorite today....

Went to my local crack house, I mean record shop! And picked up a few things:

Pink floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - 3 disc set (stereo, mono versions of the album + a 3rd disc of B-sides and singles. Mono version of Interstellar Overdrive is awesome! This is probably worth it for any Syd - era Floyd fans.

Black Francis - Bluefinger - new Frank Black album, apparently it was supposed to be the new Pixies album, but that never happened so he changed his name back to Black Francis and released it. Pretty damn good so far, Frank finally rocks out again.

So now my favorite song(s) for today are Interstellar Overdrive from the mono Floyd disc & Threshold Apprehension from Bluefinger.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  12:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Brooks - is the 3rd disc the equivalent of the "dark side of the moo" type stuff that was floating around that had some of the "relics" tracks plus tracks like "point me at the sky", "Candy and a currant bun", "Apples and Oranges", etc.?

This talk made me go listen to "Paintbox", probably my favorite early single, so that is my SOTD.

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  12:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boomer,

Here is the track listing for Disc 3:

1. Arnold Layne (Mono)
2. Candy And A Current Bun (Mono)
3. See Emily Play (Mono)
4. Apples And Oranges (Mono)
5. Paintbox (Mono)
6. Interstellar Overdrive (French Edit - Take 2)(Mono)
7. Apples And Oranges (Stereo Version)
8. Matilda Mother (Alternate Take)(Mono)
9. Interstellar Overdrive (Alternate Take - Take 6)(Mono)

There are rumors that Saucerful will get similar treatment next, and "Point Me at the Sky," might be on that one. I hope it happens.

Paintbox is a great one! Can't wait to head home and listen to these discs.

Edited by - Brooks on 09/11/2007 1:56:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  3:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've got Piper at the Gates of Dawn, both on CD and original vinyl. Gotta check the vinyl version to see if it's mono or stereo. that sounds like an interesting recording.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  5:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually got a chance to sit and listen to both versions this evening, and I have to say I like the mono version much better. I think some of the songs may be different mixes as well. Certainly Interstellar Overdrive sounds different in the beggining. Well worth it IMO. Kind of like hearing the album again for the 1st time, very cool.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  6:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
how does the end of interstellar overdrive sound? I think the mono version would be an improvement over the side-to-side insanity that is the end. Like they were just fooling around with the balance. I guess I'ma get this set. And i just placed an Amazon order yesterday. <sigh>

edit: how's that book look??

Edited by - boomer0127 on 09/11/2007 6:55:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  6:58:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun - Pink Floyd - off In The Shadow of Vesuvius

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  7:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomer0127

how does the end of interstellar overdrive sound? I think the mono version would be an improvement over the side-to-side insanity that is the end. Like they were just fooling around with the balance. I guess I'ma get this set. And i just placed an Amazon order yesterday. <sigh>

edit: how's that book look??

I'm so used to the panning of the original, it takes a second to realize it's not flying back and forth, but it sounds a lot clearer, easier to follow I guess. I went back and listened to the beginning, and there is an organ part that is not on the stereo version, makes it sound a little more eerie.

The book is okay, has lyrics and band photos. The Syd notebook part is kind of weird, just random writings and pasted together pictures. Cool, but doesn't give you any real insight to the man. Nice extra though.....

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  03:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Riff Raff - AC/DC favourite song since 1978 :)
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  05:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"Fade in a Day" - Highspire - off your Everything

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  11:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Don't Lose Your Head" - Lupine Howl off of The Bar At The End Of The World

Another band I wish would reform and record something. Imagine ---> Swervedriver - The Reunion Tour w/ special guests Lupine Howl. Hmmmmm......

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  3:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hqpicture.com

Riff Raff - AC/DC favourite song since 1978 :)

Awesome!!!

Go to Top of Page

RonnyD
Swervelette

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  10:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit RonnyD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Last Train to Satansville".

BTW - How long am I a "Swervelette"????

Seize the Day

myspace.com/ronnyd5
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  2:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DmeUuoxyt_E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DmeUuoxyt_E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

darshun
Assistant Driver

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  10:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit darshun's Homepage  Send darshun an AOL message  Click to see darshun's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayseed

Today,

Wolves - Traindodge

If you like Riddle of Steel, you'll like this band.

This is very true, cos I like both bands!!!

quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

And you'll like my favourite track of the day;

Schooled In Victory - Mudshark

I better check out Traindodge too..

Where'd you get that? Is that off of myspace? Schooled in Victory is some dudes from The Storied Northwest, right?

My bootleg blog:
http://darshun.blogspot.com
http://el1011.com
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  04:14:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Godsmack- "Bad Magick"

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  04:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Riff raff still kills...yes.

Today I'm goin with War Pigs by the almighty B Sabbath. God knows I need it.

I'm married tomorrow, and I know there's a few of you lads who are married in here, so you'll understand what I mean when I say, I can't wait until this shit is over with.

See ya in a week droogies!

Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  05:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck 'Loper!

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  05:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Have fun marriedloper. just try to enjoy it.

kiss the bride for me.

bachelor party tonight? woot.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  06:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Loper! I know what you mean, but before you know it you'll be driving away with cans and foam flying off the car. Enjoy it!

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  06:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomer0127

Have fun marriedloper. just try to enjoy it.

kiss the bride for me.

bachelor party tonight? woot.

Well, sorta. Imma throw back a couple, but only a couple. I already gave my dudes the speech about there being no shots, and no silicon boobies. It's just not my speed. Besides, if my energy was depleted anymore than it already is, I'd just morph into an actual pile of mud. How can something that supposed to be so great, be such a pain in the ass to plan for? Sigh...

Thanks to everyone regardless! I'll be happy when I'm on a plane headed to San Fran, drink in hand, and Bolts of Melody in the headphones.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  06:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

Thanks to everyone regardless! I'll be happy when I'm on a plane headed to San Fran, drink in hand, and Bolts of Melody in the headphones.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  07:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
the only good rap is GEEK RAP.

MC Frontalot - "It is Pitch Dark"

here is the video: http://frontalot.com/media.php/361/MCF_it_is_pitch_dark.mov

y'all olde school floppy disk geeks know what i'm dishin ya, G. Lots of ancient tech pr0n in this one, so if you have a young IT guy roaming yer halls, you may have to explain it all to him.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  12:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Down On The Street" - The Stooges

By the way Boomer, I noticed Voyager One has a new single out, album soon to follow. Was it you who turned me onto them? You or Rocket I think.

Edited by - Brooks on 09/14/2007 12:04:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  1:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today,

Stay Where You Are - The Delays, off Faded Seaside Glamour

and

Victoria - The Fall

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  7:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Lopes!!!!!!

SWD- "The Other Jesus"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000