Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149

chevega
Assistant Driver

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  06:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit chevega's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"j'nuh" - SDRE

www.myspace.com/thespeeds
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  07:36:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Morning Rain" - Adam Franklin

Bolts of Melody out 1 week from today!!!!!!!!

Anyone going to be able to catch one of the shows? Hope he adds a lot more.

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  7:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today,

More QOTSA, The Fun Machine Took A Shit! And Died

Also digging Foreign Born's new album.

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  8:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

sweet - not much longer 'til the new Adam Franklin release!

Today...
Arctic Monkeys - "505"
off - Favourite Worst Nightmare

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  05:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deep Seat

Going through a Raise phase the past few days.

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  07:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brooks

Deep Seat

Going through a Raise phase the past few days.

How poetic.

"White Mystery" - MtB

I have a feeling this album will be in heavy rotation for quite awhile.
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  6:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Screeming Trees- "Nearly Lost You"

We ride the warp of space into the womb of night.
Go to Top of Page

chevega
Assistant Driver

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  3:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit chevega's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ESR from ESR by SWD.

(DUH)

y'all may have covered this before, but does anyone know where any of the TV-voice-samples on this tune come from? they seem pretty random and somewhat unlinked; kind of a bizarre choice to include them IMO. i wonder what the impetus was for this sonic touch. anyone shed some lite?

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  03:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chevega

ESR from ESR by SWD.

(DUH)

y'all may have covered this before, but does anyone know where any of the TV-voice-samples on this tune come from? they seem pretty random and somewhat unlinked; kind of a bizarre choice to include them IMO. i wonder what the impetus was for this sonic touch. anyone shed some lite?

Yeah, Chevega..that is one of my favorite parts to that piece. I especially love the woman who says something about "filling their stockings" or whatever. Very reminiscent of Beatles' finale to Strawberry Fields Forever, which no doubt influenced ESR. They sound like clips from a radio programme, or TV show. Maybe Jez can chime in and set us straight. Jez...Jez...hello!!

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  06:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bad Brains - Build a Nation LP (the new one)

You won't hear anything you don't expect of course, but this record certainly kills. I liked God of Love an awful lot, but I think this one is better. It's rawer.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  8:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

yaw-hooooo = Lopers back fellas!

dude - I didn't know there was a new BB! That's cool.

Speaking of new recordings...
The latest Spoon is blowing. me. away!
I can't recommend it highly enough. With only 2 listens through... I'm thinking that I like it as much as my previous favorite: "Girls Can Tell"!

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  8:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For some stange reason having to do with my Brunch this morning, it's Grand Funk Railroad-Heartbreaker

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  8:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lots of good, new music this weekend. New Spoon (thanks Rocket), new White Stripes (pretty good), new Interpol (still soaking) but by far the best new music Ive heard in a while (aside from the new QOTSA, lets not get crazy) is Foreign Born's newest, On The Wing Now. Extremely underrated band.

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  01:22:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Throwing Stones" - Minus the Bear

Everyday I have a new favorite song.
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  07:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black Sabbath- "Tomorrow's Dream"

Go to Top of Page

chevega
Assistant Driver

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  2:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit chevega's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, what i've heard of the new SPOON is quite nice, though haven't got the disc yet. i really like what they do, and i really enjoy britt daniel's voice (that's his name, right?), but sometimes i think they drop the ball in terms of production. "someone something" off Kill the Moonlight is one of my favorite songs, but it's so LACKING in terms of overdubs....dudes, where are the tremolo guitars, the Stax saxophones, the cello solo, all the shit that SHOULD be there?! sometimes i'm tempted to overdub it all myself and send it back to them with a note, "is THIS what you meant?"

otherwise, great band :)

a friend lent me the new CYHSY, but as discussed otherwhere on this board, i still just don't get these guys.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  4:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jerry Cantrell - Dickeye

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  6:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Ossuary" - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  07:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Shining Somewhere" - Mr. Adam Franklin

Picked up Bolts of Melody today as well as Faust - 1st 2 albums. It's a good day!

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  02:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adam - Son Of Sam

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  04:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alice Cooper- School's Out Album

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  05:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Morning Rain" -AF

Also, "It's A Rainy Day, Sunshine Girl" - Faust off of Faust So Far. Thanks for the recomendation Loper!

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  06:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You bet Brooks. Faust is one of my favorites of all time. That track is nothing short of incredible, especially for how old it is. They're a little hard to locate, but keep your eye out for Faust discs called "Patchwork" and "71 minutes of Faust". I don't believe they're actual LPs, more like outtakes and what not, but they're every bit as good as the LP's.

And yes today, The whole Adam record. It's just so goddamn good I can't get over it. I love how theres different versions or bits from Rain and Birdsong tucked in there. Very nice touch.

Go to Top of Page

chevega
Assistant Driver

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  7:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit chevega's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i feel like a total slacker for not having adam's record yet. is it REALLY that good? i'm still timid. afraid to be let down by my high expectations left by the mighty 'driver. is it truly a worthy follow-up from 99th dream? (i sort of turned a deaf ear on that half-hearted-sounding toshack stuff -- sorry adam) of course i'm gonna get it, i just really really wanna love it.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  8:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just get it! Listen to it with an open mind, kick back and enjoy it! And just imagine how good it will sound live! Is it Swervedriver? No. Is it (as Loper put it) the best thing Adam has done post SWD? Yup. I agree. DO IT!

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  04:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Velvet Revolver - "She Builds Quick Machines"

Clutch - "One Zero Zero"

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  04:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Vega, I feel your pain. I love Toshack, but none of it for me had the feel of being complete really, at least in the sense of most band's LP's. This one does. And yes, I do think this is the best thing Adam has done in ages. He just gets better all the time. If the record were slightly more "rock", then it would sound just like SWD.

Just go get the damn thing. It's absolutely georgeous.

Edited by - interloper on 06/28/2007 06:07:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  06:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Loper, I need to get my ass in gear and get a copy. So when are you and Adam gonna do a song together?

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 06/28/2007 06:22:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  06:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a fleet of lawyers that he'll have to get through first...

Go to Top of Page

chevega
Assistant Driver

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  09:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit chevega's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sweet. thx you guys.

hey, i'm certainly no adam, but i'll do a song with ya, loper. heck, you're only one state over, right? maybe we should get all the musicians here to contribute to a track... that could be cool. or a big throbbing trainwreck :)

we can call it "the postal SWERVice."

Edited by - chevega on 06/28/2007 09:57:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  11:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds kinda hot actually...

The compatibility of formats would probably be the biggest obstacle.

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  12:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We could upload Wavs to a central location, as they're recorded, then everyone can use their program of choice.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  1:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
By the way Chevega....Benchwarmer broke up. I'm bummed. Everything for the LP was done except for vocals. Oh well. At least they were great while they were around.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  7:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan Adams - "Cold Roses"

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  06:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thin Lizzy - King's Vengeance

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  08:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Carry The Zero" - Built To Spill

Going to see them next Thursday. Can't wait!

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  11:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heinrich Maneuver - Interpol

Starting to really dig their new album.

Go to Top of Page

chevega
Assistant Driver

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  2:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit chevega's Homepage  Reply with Quote
loper - 'warmer is no more? that stinks.

brooks - great BTS track! love the solo. and the outtro. and all of the rest of it.

jeronimo - i've always wanted to hate ryan adams. not sure why, i guess i'm just kind of a jerk like that. anyhoo, at work the other day a couple of really cool tracks came on, and i was thinking, "damnit, i just KNOW this is that new ryan adams record..." great stuff. and you gotta give him respect for his prolific output (though i've heard that the quality is wildly inconsistent.)

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  2:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Up On the Sun" - Meat Puppets
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  4:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not a huge fan myself. I do think the Cold Roses album and his country album are quite good. I saw his performance on Austin City Limits and it was enjoyable. Hope he writes more country albums.

I hate most mainstream county. Its evil redneck garbage. But, there are some incredible "REAL" Country artists that I love dearly. It blows my mind when I think about how much talent is out there and how its burried by garbage. Makes me .

Some great artists? Old 97's, Walt Wilkins,Whiskey Town,Chris Knight,Robbie Fulks,Mo Robinson,Kevin Welch,Kelly Pardekooper,Nanci Giffith,Robert Earl Keen, Hank Williams the 3rd, Lucinda Williams,Bottle Rockets,Crooked Still, Gillian Welch, John Prine. And many more. Some you can label country crossover,folk country and or bluegrass. Whatever.

brooks - great BTS track! love the solo. and the outtro. and all of the rest of it.

jeronimo - i've always wanted to hate ryan adams. not sure why, i guess i'm just kind of a jerk like that. anyhoo, at work the other day a couple of really cool tracks came on, and i was thinking, "damnit, i just KNOW this is that new ryan adams record..." great stuff. and you gotta give him respect for his prolific output (though i've heard that the quality is wildly inconsistent.)

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  4:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robbie Fulks- "Busy Not Crying"

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  6:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ryan Adams definitely has his moments. For the most part I like him. He seems to be the only young 'un carrying the punk country torch. His voice instantly reminds me of a young Chris Hillman when he was with the Flying Burrito Brothers or a bandmember of Manassas with Stephen Stills. Can't say much for his personality though. He is given to hissy fits while on stage, that are very unbecoming an artist of his apparent stature and very immature overall. He's from Jacksonville NC, which is a god forsaken hole, so I forgive him in part. He has not had enough whiskey, jail time, or beatings to really get in the club, maybe that's why he is the way he is. Remember, Chris Hillman pulled a knife on somebody once. Very cool.

Now, Jaymo as for the others you listed. All good folks. I really love Kevin Welch, and I've met him and done a songwriting workshop with him. Prince of a guy, very down to earth and he can tell the truth about the amazing bullshit involved in the music "industry". You needed to include Steve Earle (whom I assume you must love), and if you have not heard, you need to hear Ray Wylie Hubbard. I"ve got a live one of his I can burn for you. He's the guy who penned Redneck Mother that Jerry Jeff Walker made popular back around when you weren't born yet...Now as for Robbie Fulks, I'm gonna check him out immediately.

P.S. Just did. Man, that's reeeal Cuntry.

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 06/29/2007 6:25:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  8:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed Eugene. Steve Earle is an awesome artist and I have total respest for him. I've seen his sister Stacy Earle perform 3 times and she's good as well. I don't care for her voice too much but her songs are good.

"Justice in Ontario" is a good Steve Earle song.

I agree with you about Ryan Adams. He is a bit of a bugger. One thing I've noticed is that he gets grief no matter what he does. Oh well, I still like some of his songs.

I'm sure you know way more about this type of music than me.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  10:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dude, that Steve Earle song about him driving a truck through a warzone is the shit. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. It's like...what country music should sound like.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  06:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Ol' Steve rules. I still think his debut album Guitar Town is a real gem. The followup to it, Exit O has a great tune called Nowhere Road. A couple years ago, I wrote a song I entitled Road to Nowhere...(hmmm did I subliminally lift it?). Anyways, it's got this line.."Theres a road in Oklahoma, straighter than a preacher, longer than a memory....". He just knows how..

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  09:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I know. Its a bummer, I really really like the band. The real shame like I said is that we had already finished all the basic tracks for the LP, and never got to the vocals. I assure you it was going to be fantastic. The songs were great.

On the Ryan Adams thing...Yeah, Im a hater too. I just cant seem to sink my teeth into all the music that is around these days that sounds (at least to me) EXACTLY like something else. I just cant swallow it. What I heard sounded precisely like something off of Blonde on Blonde. Instant turn off. I just cant hang. That goes for this Amy Winehouse shit too. Im not looking for anyone to reinvent the musical wheel, but for godsakes, you have to put your own spin on it, otherwise, were getting nowhere. The fact that people eat the stuff up baffles me....just my opinion mind you.

Today
Motorhead - The chase is better than the catch.

Yaarrgghh!!!

Edited by - interloper on 06/30/2007 09:10:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  4:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I skip the Ryan Adams and go straight for the Magnolia Electric Co. They're releasing an incredible 4 disc box set, of all new stuff, in August. Hooray!
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  4:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Hartley Quits" - John Mayall & The Blues Breakers (written by Mick Taylor)

Bare Wires is an awesome album. It's the perfect bluesy beginning to a Sunday morning.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  8:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve Earle- "Copperhead Road"

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  01:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eeeek..

Im nearly all sorted with my iPod now - slack i know, but had to rerip my collection and change over from WMP. A head fuck, but its all good now. Only thing i cant get right are the video clips - Brooks, i think you sent me some; Foo, Creed(yikes), MBV, then someone gave me some Slowdive, i can get pictures but no sound. Only one to work was Cocaine Cowgirl which kicks butt. Im off to get Handbrake now as the iPod conversions take yonks and then dont work grrrr.

Anyway, Ive done a good few kms in the car with the iPod on shuffle. I complete standout so far has been Kal Vakota, or Kalvakota, Which is it Loper?? Man, he is gooooooooooood. Its so clear. I can never quite pick where he is going to take each rhythm or piece of his tracks and its playful at times. Foot wont stop tapping away.

Today
Kal Vakota - What You Are

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.25seconds. Snitz Forums 2000