Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  04:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grinspoon - "More than You Are"

We ride the warp of space into the womb of night.
Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1049 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  04:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Legal Tender" - The B-52's

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  05:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo

Guys with coke bottle glasses and naturally curly hair like The Dan. Usually they smoke Camel Lights and drink Rumple Minz on the rocks. They say "You know" alot in a California accent.

This is the funniest thing I've heard uttered in ages. Thank you.

Edited by - interloper on 01/25/2007 05:49:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  12:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

quote:
Originally posted by Eugene

Loper, great idea. And I know you sent me some ACID that is, some time ago, but I need to buy a new version to go with MAC OS X. Let me check it out. Thanks for the tip, man.

Acid 6.0. If they make it for Mac then don't use any earlier version. 6.0 is significant as far as features that they finally added.

Excellent! I'm on it. Thanx.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  3:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Baby, Back Up - The Bluetones

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  7:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disturbed- "Land of Confusion"

Yeah, the Genesis version sucks goat butt. I feel that the song speaks volumes though.

Same thing for the song "Shout" from Tears for Fears. Disturbed has a way of making sucky things not so sucky.

Perhaps they should cover some Lenny Kravitz tunes. Nah, lets just let Kravitz suck, all by himself.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  04:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Guys with coke bottle glasses and naturally curly hair like The Dan. Usually they smoke Camel Lights and drink Rumple Minz on the rocks. They say "You know" alot in a California accent.

Actually, I do wear glasses (not coke bottle), I have straight hair, don't smoke, I like whisky straight up, and I'm from Massachusetts so I say "wicked" a lot, but it sounds like "wickid," when I say it because of my Boston accent.

Today it's:
Helium Heels by Darker My Love

Also still digging LSD and the search for God.

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  4:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brooks

quote:

Actually, I do wear glasses (not coke bottle), I have straight hair, don't smoke, I like whisky straight up, and I'm from Massachusetts so I say "wicked" a lot, but it sounds like "wickid," when I say it because of my Boston accent.

Today it's:
Helium Heels by Darker My Love

Also still digging LSD and the search for God.

Second that, Brooks. And good to see ya..... Hmmm. Whisky . I'm not a big Single Malt fan but in that category, I'll take Lagavulin. With Blends...Johnnie Walker Black, although this summer at the cabin someone brought up the GREEN label JW....nectar of the Godz. That bottle didn't live long...

Today it's. Bubbling Up-SWD. Gawd wasn't ESR a fookin' masterpiece of all time????

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 01/26/2007 4:06:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  7:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disturbed- "Down With The Sickness"

How fitting.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  7:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dashbored Confessional- "I'm an Emo Wuss"

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  05:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot 'Mo, my keyboard has Pepsi all over it now.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  09:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bobbi, Bobbi, Bobbi, Im Not God - Karma To Burn

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  2:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Remember when hip hop didn't completely suck?

Stretch Armstrong show from 1992. Yes.

http://konstantkontakt.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  05:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah loper. I remember.

I also have respect for Public Enemy. Chuck D for sure. Flava Flav is an idiot now though.

song for the day Gary Jules: "Owen Down"

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  07:58:37 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know how many of you are into the Podcast world, and I don't know how many of you are freaks for James Brown like I am, but this kicks ass...

http://www.digitalpodcast.com/detail.php?id=310

These JB tribute shows are so good. It's all I listened to all weekend.

P.S. Does anyone know how the hell to drop an .xml file into a podcast puller downer thing? I'm listening to these shows via Winamp for now and recording them in real time. I'd love to be able to just download the damn things like everyone else.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  08:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Loper,

I use Itunes for all my podcast adventures. Apparently, Winamp is pretty squirrely with podcasts.

Today's favorites:

Lost In The Air - Cave In
Joy Opposites - Cave In
Burning Too - Fugazi

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  09:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you're right, Winamp doesn't deal with em at all, I was just listening to a stream of the show on Winamp, and recording it with other software. I have a podcast puller, for a lack of better description called Juice and don't quite have the total hang of it yet. Is the .xml file what I drop into Juice as a subscription of some kind?

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  1:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Hayseed. Get iTunes, then go to preferences and subscribe to your podcasts from there. It's great. I get a new live show from KEXP every couple days, and don't evene have to think about it. It's just there.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  1:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool Moen, I'll try iTunes cause I've already got it anyway. Thanks dudes.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  4:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iTunes,Winamp, Its all greek to me. Seriously, I'm not sure what you folks are talking about half the time.

Our Lady Peace- "Supermans Dead"

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  5:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's not as bad as you think 'Mo.

All it is, is a simple polyphoneticly grouped twenty square digit key, transposed from booster verdonic form, with multiple nulls.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  5:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moenkopi46_2

I'm with Hayseed. Get iTunes, then go to preferences and subscribe to your podcasts from there. It's great. I get a new live show from KEXP every couple days, and don't evene have to think about it. It's just there.

Question. What do you do when an .xml file pops up instead of the typical url code for the rss feed?

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  9:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im with Jmo. Who has time to listen to podcasts anyway!

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  05:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far this morning....

"Salvation," by Voyager One.

I tried a few podcasts with iTunes a while back. Wasn't very impressed with the sound quality, so never bothered again. Could have just been the source material, oh well.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  08:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Brooks, in my experience the quality will vary from podcast to podcast. You never know what you'll run into really. I messed around within iTunes quite a bit last night and found a few things I liked a lot and subscribed to. In general, I love it. Radio shows by normal people within their basements or whatever. That's how it should be. Fuck the radio.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  10:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that makes sense Interloper, I'll have to mess around with iTunes again one of these days. And definitely....Fuck the radio!

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  5:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This would make a good subtopic. Actually, havent we discussed podcasts before? Some of my favs are WOXY.com's Lounge Acts and some of KEXP's. Anyone have any others?

Today,

Avon - QOTSA

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  7:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a tech dinosaur. At one time I thought I was pretty savy, that was the 1980's. I envy you folks at times because you're all in the know zone. Seems like I'm always missing out on something.

I remember a time when my dad would take me to the "record shop" and I would literally get lost in those isles. Time was irrelevant. My hands flipped through hundreds of records and I would almost breakout into a sweat when I found the one I was looking for. Those days are gone. The trill is gone too. Shops are going bankrupt. And yes, there are valid reasons. Now you can get what you want with a few key strokes and never leave your house.

I'm still impressed with the tech minds of today, don't get me wrong. I just miss the "Back In The Day" days. Lament, lament.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  7:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the indie bands I do like. The Shins. Picked up their new CD. James Mercer can write some great lyrics.

The Shins- "Phantom Limb"

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  8:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayseed

This would make a good subtopic. Actually, havent we discussed podcasts before? Some of my favs are WOXY.com's Lounge Acts and some of KEXP's. Anyone have any others?

Well, for all my *cough* technosavvy *cough*, I just can't get into podcasts, music or otherwise. I do, however, get into the vertigo: shoegaze radio at live365. I listen through iTunes.

This is the direct link (via tinyURL): http://tinyurl.com/343bcf

They'll even drop the SWDbomb every once and a while.

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  10:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phantom Limb is catchy as hell.

Haven't listened to any music today, yet. I was whistling the track that came in at no 16 on the JJJ hottest 100 though. You can listen to the whole countdown here > http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100/countdown/# < I bet if you hunt around you might be able to podcast it as well.

So today:
Peter Bjorn and John - Young Folks

careful coz that whistling is addictive.

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  05:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

So far today it's:
"I Don't Care," by LSD and the search for God
I haven't been this addicted to a album/EP in a long time.

On a completely unrelated note, I read on the Autolux myspace page that the new album has been pushed back to this summer. Bummer. I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  05:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brooks I've got a decent Autolux show in mp3 format if you want it. Its from 5-11-05 at the Chicago Doubledoor... Probably pulled it off a blog at some point.
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  06:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I woud be into that. I've never heard them live. I'll email you later. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  07:30:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries. I'll upload it to the pswerve.org site and post the URL here.
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  08:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You rule James!

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  09:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.projectswerve.org/uploads/autolux.zip

Anybody that wants it feel free to hop on. Hopefully that web server has some decent speed. File size ~50 Meg.
Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  09:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, you are a bad ass. I've meant to ask you, what program are you using to do DVD authoring, and how do you like it?

"REV 22:20" - Puscifer
If I were a stripper I'd use this song relentlessly.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  09:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know what James is using, but I've got DVD Architect that is now I think made by Sony, and it's really easy and seems to work well. I've just only scratched the surface on it.

Clearly though, James is the video guru around here.

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  09:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blah guru I am not. :P

Using a program called DVDlab. Its relatively inexpensive compared to other products that do the same thing with the only caveat being that your video/audio must be formatted/edited correctly prior to using this program. It mainly gives you the ability to build custom menus in photoshop then create chapter points to connect everything up.
If you need to do heavy editing etc then this program would not be good for ya.

So in keeping with the thread I'll just list what itunes has on right now...
The receiver - goliath from moe's later burnies.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  5:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Seriously, this is the best music ever made.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  5:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Seriously, this is the best music ever made.

Love that one; legendary recording. There's another one that he did with similar musicians at the time, called Live Evil, you might like also; maybe you've already heard it, Loper.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  7:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah. Live Evil sucked up at least a solid year of my life. A buddy of mine just hooked me up with the entire Cellar Door performances which Live Evil was edited out of. That era of Miles to me is some of the best music ever made.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  8:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh yeah. Live Evil sucked up at least a solid year of my life. A buddy of mine just hooked me up with the entire Cellar Door performances which Live Evil was edited out of. That era of Miles to me is some of the best music ever made.

I take it those Cellar Door gigs are bootleg? Hint...hint...like can I get 'em????
Absolutely agree with your assessment. It's interesting that no matter what other things I can listen to and eventually get bored, that never seems to happen with that era of Miles. I also have a deep fondness for his Second Quintet; Tony Williams, Ron Carter, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  04:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
They're actually a for real release.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=18394

I too am a huge fan of the Ron C, Herbie H, Tony W, Wayne S band.

Edited by - interloper on 02/01/2007 04:48:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  05:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big Fun and On The Corner are two more good Bitches Brew era albums. I believe they were both taken from the BB sessions. And I must agree, my favorite Miles era is the 2nd quintet also. Albums like Miles Smiles, E.S.P., Nefertiti are amazing, as well as any live material from that period. I think I have more Miles Davis CDs in my collection than any other artist!

Yesterday there was a new infant in my daughters day care, her name is Maggie. So, of course the first thing that popped into my head was - "He carved out 'Maggie sucks,' on the backs of every one."

This morning:

"Harry and Maggie" - Swervedriver

That happens every time I hear that name

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  05:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, I also dig the Herbie solo albums with Shorter, Carter, Williams, and the amazing Freddie Hubbard on trumpet! Maiden Voyage is an great album. Some days I like Hubbard more than Miles (as far as playing and sound, but Miles is the master composer / arranger). Any of Hubbard's 70's stuff is well worth seeking out - Red Clay, Sky Dive, or Straight Life. I'm just saying ………you guys started it. I'll shut up now.

Go to Top of Page

Mary
Swervelette

4 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  06:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today; What More Can I Say- Nina Simone

www.myspace.com/marymoeisrolling
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  07:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Big Fun and On The Corner are two more good Bitches Brew era albums. I believe they were both taken from the BB sessions. And I must agree, my favorite Miles era is the 2nd quintet also. Albums like Miles Smiles, E.S.P., Nefertiti are amazing, as well as any live material from that period. I think I have more Miles Davis CDs in my collection than any other artist!

Yesterday there was a new infant in my daughters day care, her name is Maggie. So, of course the first thing that popped into my head was - "He carved out 'Maggie sucks,' on the backs of every one."

This morning:

"Harry and Maggie" - Swervedriver

That happens every time I hear that name

Ahh, Harry and Maggie. Swervedriver's one true political statement. I love that song.

Yes on the Miles. Big Fun is so crucial to have because it has the tracks from the Brew sessions, but of high importance, it's got Go Ahead John, Ife, and Lonely Fire, of which I believe weren't from the Brew sessions and of course, all kill. On the Corner yes. Fantastic. pre-Electric band...yes. I just had Nefertiti on the other night while cooking. I couldn't pick a fave from that band, but Miles Smiles, or maybe Miles in the Sky might be the one. Water Babies is damn good too and gets kinda overlooked.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  10:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh yeah, I also dig the Herbie solo albums with Shorter, Carter, Williams, and the amazing Freddie Hubbard on trumpet! Maiden Voyage is an great album. Some days I like Hubbard more than Miles (as far as playing and sound, but Miles is the master composer / arranger). Any of Hubbard's 70's stuff is well worth seeking out - Red Clay, Sky Dive, or Straight Life. I'm just saying ………you guys started it. I'll shut up now.

Well, as far as technical playing on trumpet, I've got only 2 words for you....Clifford Brown.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000