Love And Laughter - Dirty Lives

Onya Boom

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  06:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Posted by hayseed
quote:
Action Pact is by far their best work. Its a must have.

I'll have to say, it's my second favourite disc after 'Smeared' Definitely a must-have. The Peppermint EP was cool too.

Going with Tool, 'The Pot' today. Spun the entire disc again last night and still effecting me.

Those darker forces just ain't real
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  12:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilco - Handshake Drugs

Hey guys, I have compiled the info from the first 38 pages of this thread onto a spreadsheet. Does anyone know much about what we can garner from the info? Id like to know stuff like this, but MS Excel doesnt offer much to me in the way of info sorting, but im a real novice... These are some of the questions id like to know:

Which tracks are most popular.
A post count for each member.
Which SWD tracks are most pop.
A top 10/50/100 for each member.

What other stuff would you like to know?
Can anyone figure out how to garner answers to these questions?

Let me know dudes.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  08:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"Godless" - Dandy Warhols

and

"Hyperventilation" - BJM

Finally got around to seeing DIG!, so I'm kinda stoked on these guys right now.

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  12:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey boom...
Hairs literally stood up on the back of my neck when Godless kicked in for the closing credits. Nice pick - both of those!
Heard Catherine Wheel - Black Metalic on the radio this am, can't get it out of my mind now.

Those darker forces just ain't real
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  12:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Luv Black Metallic. Stellar CW tune. One of the best. That first CD was a real gem.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  2:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Store Bought Bones - The Raconteurs

Very good album by these guys. With all the name dropping, it should be. Jack White has some awesome guitar work on this particular song.

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  02:56:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Is this the bear they are minus?

The Fix - they just played it on JJJ. I was like "shit did i accidently press play on my cd player" But no, they played it and then i was for them to make it, but then coz id have to share with everyone else here..

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  05:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Devo - Wiggly World

Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  09:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

Devo - Wiggly World

Hell yes.

"Duty Now..." has got to be one of the best albums ever.

"you, too, can exist in your very own parallel time" -the watchmaker
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  10:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah man...There's a couple of bonus tracks on the re-release that aren't on the original LP that completely kill....

I'm on a Devo thing today cause I grabbed an absolutely killer 78 television appearance of them over on the Dime recently.

Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  10:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayseed

Store Bought Bones - The Raconteurs

Very good album by these guys. With all the name dropping, it should be. Jack White has some awesome guitar work on this particular song.

Hey, I just listened to the samples on Amazon for the Raconteurs album, but it sounded pretty cool. I'll have to wait until July to get it for my birthday, I'm so damn strapped for cash.

What Do I - Superchunk
Little Miss Strange - Jimi Hendrix
Say Hello to the Angels - Interpol
Murder on the Moors - Thee Headcoats
and some Von Bondies
. . .lately
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  11:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
BuddyHead has some tracks available for sampling <ahem!> of the Raconteurs:

http://buddyhead.typepad.com/

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  08:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Going Steady - Death From Above 1979

Awesome song to get your blood pumping in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  09:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
The new Appleseed Cast - Peregrine - is totally blowing my mind!
It's my favorite disk since The End Will Be Kicks!!

oh yeah: "song 3"

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/

Edited by - rocket on 06/11/2006 10:16:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  2:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sweet Dream - Jethro Tull

Tull is bad ass man.
Go to Top of Page

drmcd
Assistant Driver

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  2:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But Lizzy is more bad ass (badasser?)

Borderline - Thin Lizzy

Chase with:

Candy Cane Crawl - Twilight Singers
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  3:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Huge Lizzy fan here.

Don't ya think Adam Franklin would sound incredible doing a version of "Wild One"?

Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1049 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  01:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Van Halen - Loss of Control

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  03:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elliot Smith - Trouble

Off the Thumbsucker soundtrack. Seen it? Really enjoyed it myself. Polyphonic Spree and ES did all the sounds. Very nice.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  04:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Blue Oyster Cult - Hot Rails to Hell

That's right, bring on the cowbell jokes.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  01:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catherine Wheel - Indigo Is Blue

Yep Ferment is my favourite as well. Thankyou for the connection all.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  05:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Whoever suggested dEUS - "Bad Timing", thanks.

oh, and "The Hitcher" is ringing my SWD bell this week.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  8:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
some local K.C. action that will be on my next WAB which will be well worth the wait... (sorry about that btw - I'm trying to send one of our finished ep cuts along - hence the wait...)
SuperNauts - "Medicine and Love"
off - Medicine and Love
it came out in "04 - but, I didn't get it until this week.
it is excellent.

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  2:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im on a Catherine Wheel kick my damn self.

The Nude - Catherine Wheel

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  10:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Soundgarden - Slaves and Bulldozers

Pardon my enthusiasm but, holy flerking schnit do I miss this band..

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  12:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dEUS is damn good indeed. I love Pocket Revolution. Bad Timing is a great builder hey Boomer! They hail from Belgium it seems. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=38290461

The new Mogwai has been playing 24/7 for me though. All the tracks flow into each other beautifully. Do you get out and amongst them in Glasgow, Terra? That would be an awesome double act!

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  05:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
BadMotorFinger indeed. Definitely a Desert Island Disc.

Today - "Lie Down" Year of the Rabbit

Croz - You asked about Maserati - I know I've seen 'em in the past when they opened for someone a lotta years back (It seems like it's been over ten years). Well, they are playing in town on August 26 and they are on my calendar. Maybe I'll see if I can get permission to videotape the show - I know the Lenny's folks won't mind.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  06:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Shit yeah Boomer. I was loading up the ipod for my impending vacation and got sucked into Motorfinger. I haven't listened to it in ages. What an incredible band they were. The songs, the guitars, the vocals...everything about them was top notch. Tony Iommi himself should be jealous of some of those riffs.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  01:10:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do it Boomer, id love to live vicariously through your video camera. I love all the Year Of The Rabbit you guys have sent through too. Are they touring?

Today
RJD2 - Ghostwriter

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  05:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

Tony Iommi himself should be jealous of some of those riffs.

Yes, BadMotorFinger always seemed to me their pinnicle masterpiece, the ultimate fusion of Sabbath and AC/DC with a modern twist. I can almost hear Ozzy on New Damage and Bon Scott on Outshined. Do you have the SOMMS bonus disc? Those covers are great.

But I can't say enough about Room a Thousand Years Wide. At the time, it could annoy the shit out of most anyone over the age of 30 and had some of the best screaming of Chris Cornell's career.

But today I set the iPod on "Maserati". Track of the day is:

Being a President is Like Riding a Tiger

Thanks Croz, for bringing this band back to front and center. How does one pronounce dEUS? Like the number 2, dee-us, or day-ous? I dunno. I am horrible with phonics.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  08:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you're talking about that disc with the Devo and Sabbath covers, yeah, it's great.

When I was a wee lad, I was enormously attached to Louder than Love, and to a lesser extent, Ultramega OK. I was definately a little bewildered when I first heard Motor, cause it was different and a bit less dissonant, but hearing it now, yeah, I think it's my favorite LP of theirs overall.

See, I say that, but pretty much every single LP is stellar in it's own way.

Edited by - interloper on 06/20/2006 08:24:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  01:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KC Accidental, why did they stray to the clustered music with 20 band members? I cant sink my teeth into anything really off Broken Social Scene. *sigh* KC still gives me goosebumps.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  1:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So Real-Jeff Buckley

Why oh why did I wait so long to "discover" this phenom. He super-nova'd and how tragic. Unreal voice and song structures that are quite complex and highly musical. They say he had a 3 octave range. Died tragically young like his father, the famed Tim Buckley, but not of an OD like Dad. Appears it was an accident. He went for a dip in the Wolf River near Memphis on a lark, and got swept by an undertow current, only to wash up downstream 3 days later. Only one formally released CD of his entitled Grace (get it...excellent). Some bootlegs.

P.S. House move is near finish in Frederick,MD. Views of the Catoctin Mountains from the balcony are stunning. Plenty of room. All Swervies welcome!

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 06/21/2006 2:25:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  11:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when did you tell us you were moving Geno? Certainly not while you were over here. Whats brought this on?

Jeff Buckley is responsible for my friend calling his newborn Jeff. We all love the Jeffs

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  06:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"Karma Package Deal" - 78 Saab off Croz's burn #5.

Been listening to the "Burnies Best" playlist for the last couple of days - the WAB group rocks!

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  09:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

when did you tell us you were moving Geno? Certainly not while you were over here. Whats brought this on?

Jeff Buckley is responsible for my friend calling his newborn Jeff. We all love the Jeffs

Did I not mention it? Well, maybe because I was having last minute anxieties about moving, ie not sure. But, well I did finally do it. The town is much better than the area I was living in terms of stuff to do, nightlife etc...And..there are actually decent single women here, who have a full set of teeth Great pubs and restaurants with some live music, so quality of life issues were the major motivator.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  09:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holding Sand - Rival Schools

Theyre a completely different band than Quicksand but at least that song gives me a sense of what could have been. Love it!

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  8:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey dudes.

Congrats on the move Eumobilegene! sounds like a sweet spot next to the g spot!
You should really get in on some open mic nights Geno... anything... seriously.
and I agree on the Buckley - there was a full disk released of b-Sides and extras too... it's great - but, not as finished sounding as Grace...
it's called - My Sweetheart the Drunk. And I have another disk called Mystery White Boy Live...

and I also agree with the whole Soundgarden love discussion. Actually - I was claiming each release of theirs my favorite all the way to their second to last disk Superunknown. I'm sure many think that was their sell out release - but, I love the diversity of it - and I first heard it when I was spending a very pleasant afternoon at the Fatal Flower in Amsterdamn. It blew my mind - along with the killer Super Northern Lights! But, the best song I ever heard them play live was when they were in the Lalapalooza line up with their BMF disk - but, the song came from Louder Than Love - it was "Hands All Over" - damn it smoked live!!!

Today...
Appleseed Cast - "February"
off - Peregrine

Edited by - rocket on 06/24/2006 8:04:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  12:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah Geno, get some jam buds to start your world tour. I think theres a real market for your harmonics. I love those sounds.

Messer Chups - Anton La Vey 66.6FM

I won a cd by Shearwater this morning. Anyone heard of them? Im going to hunt them down...

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  06:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone LP.

Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  11:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gotta get in on the Soundgarden loving, too!

Rocket, I know you werenít saying that Superunknown was their sell-out album, but Iím having trouble contemplating that anyone would consider that Soundgarden ever sold out.

The earlier discussion on Soundgarden prompted me to dig out their CDs, Iím having a great day at work today with my headphones on.
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  12:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"In Remote Woods" - Foreign Born

Isn't Foreign Born another Croz reccomendation?

Eugene - I hope you are getting ready for your phase transition! 2 posts away from sublimation...

I'd have to agree with Rocket about Supa-unknown. But then it would be impossible for *anyone* to followup BadMotorFinger with an album half as good.

"Hands All Over" was the track that did it for me back in 1990. I wore that LP out on my college radio show.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  6:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

yeah - no doubt MattW! But, it seems that there are always the "wise guys" that think just because a band is being played on the radio suddenly they aren't underground or cool any more...
I'm sure you know the type...

Today...
KVLR - "Slow Clapping"
off Boomers Vol 8

dude - I love this track! - they remind me of Fireside - what's their story?

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  9:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Foreign Born.... not to my knowledge Boomer. What kind of music is it? Soulseeking now...

That is one of my faves too Rocket. Spill the beans Boom.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  9:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.foreignbornmusic.com/

All you need to know. Foreign Born kicks ass. Ive only been talking about them for months!! :D

Glad you guys have gotten onboard. :D

Today,

Calm Like a Bomb - Rage Against the Machine

"The Battle of Los Angeles" is their best and most underrated album.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  05:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Hays

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  06:09:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
KVLR - A band I thought had broken up, but their myspace page says otherwise.

Info on the band is here:

http://www.stickman-records.de/ - then choose bands over on the right side and KVLR is in the list.

Sorry for the misdirected praise, Hayseed.

I'll stick with Foreign Born again today, with "We Had Pleasure".

Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  07:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

yeah - no doubt MattW! But, it seems that there are always the "wise guys" that think just because a band is being played on the radio suddenly they aren't underground or cool any more...
I'm sure you know the type...

Yeah, but Soundgarden, I'm in denial. It's not like Cornell pulled a Billie Joe Armstrong transformation.

quote:
Originally posted by hayseed

Calm Like a Bomb - Rage Against the Machine

"The Battle of Los Angeles" is their best and most underrated album.

Hell yes! Thank you for visiting the "bands that Audioslave members came from that we really miss" portion of the thread.
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  7:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks dudes!

those should go in the download section...

Edited by - rocket on 06/27/2006 7:03:13 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000