"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  04:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any Built To Spill fans 'round here?

The new album came out yesterday, I listened to it twice on Napster yesterday. I must admit I really dig it! Gonna have to pick it up at lunch today! I really like the first tune as well as Gone, The Wait, and a few others I can't remember the names of. Guitars are awesome on this one! Lots of great jams and cool sounding effects. I like it a lot more than the last album - Ancient Melodies, which I admit I never gave much of a chance, maybe I should!

I have to admit I really never got into them, but this album could pull me in! Anyone else check it out yesterday?

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1049 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  05:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Girls Talk By Elvis Costello from Almost Blue (Bonus Disc)

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  05:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

cool Brooks. I'll have to be sure to check it out. Of course - I really like Ancient Melodies... but, Keep It Like A Secret is probally my favorite.

Hey - does anybody have a recomendations as to the best Tragically Hip disk to get? They've been on my "want list" for a while and I thought I would pull the trigger...

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  09:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

Just saying its not fit for public release means you have to release it here, its hardly public.

Spill it Geno!

It's too nasty, and a lot will be missed it you don't hear me tell it directly...but, since we all Swervies here..(I'll leave some of this up to your individual imaginations):
Basically it has to do with a woman I dated of a particular nationality who had the "shtank" factor emanating from certain areas of her corpus. Lord have mercy! A buddy of mine (who has heard this story dozens of times) said I should have dropped a subtle hint for her, like.."hey...did someone here shit on fish?".
She was a very sweet lady, and I feel bad that was the main reason I decided to look "elsewhere". We kept in touch by Email for a bit, and she told me some time later that she'd gotten engaged. She went on and on about what a "wonderful guy" her fiance was. My first thought was that either he hadn't taken her for a "test drive", or there was something seriously wrong with his olfactory lobes. Poor bastard. I wrote a song about it, a delightful little dittie called "Kissmealova" (Kiss Me All Over). It's got a hip/hop drum track. Pity it's sitting on my old hard drive, and I've got to get the sucker salvaged. But if I do....y'all will get copies on a future WAB.

Wait, wait...just came up with a great band name. If you use it, I want full credit..."Shtank Factor".

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 04/12/2006 10:35:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  10:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today

Queen - Ogre Battle

Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  10:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Today its 'Graffiti' Maximo Park, off 'A Certain Trigger'

Hey, I just heard a Shelby track on the local collage radio station last night - the band jennybrown wrote about... have to say there were some swervie moments in the tune. Think I've got a new disc I have to search for

Those darker forces just ain't real
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  5:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eugene

quote:

Just saying its not fit for public release means you have to release it here, its hardly public.

Spill it Geno!

It's too nasty, and a lot will be missed it you don't hear me tell it directly...but, since we all Swervies here..(I'll leave some of this up to your individual imaginations):
Basically it has to do with a woman I dated of a particular nationality who had the "shtank" factor emanating from certain areas of her corpus. Lord have mercy! A buddy of mine (who has heard this story dozens of times) said I should have dropped a subtle hint for her, like.."hey...did someone here shit on fish?".
She was a very sweet lady, and I feel bad that was the main reason I decided to look "elsewhere". We kept in touch by Email for a bit, and she told me some time later that she'd gotten engaged. She went on and on about what a "wonderful guy" her fiance was. My first thought was that either he hadn't taken her for a "test drive", or there was something seriously wrong with his olfactory lobes. Poor bastard. I wrote a song about it, a delightful little dittie called "Kissmealova" (Kiss Me All Over). It's got a hip/hop drum track. Pity it's sitting on my old hard drive, and I've got to get the sucker salvaged. But if I do....y'all will get copies on a future WAB.

Wait, wait...just came up with a great band name. If you use it, I want full credit..."Shtank Factor".

Fucking awesome. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't had a similar experience at one point on my life.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  8:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, "Loper, these experiences make us stronger.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  9:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'gene, 'loper,
I've been there, too.
It's the oddest taboo subject, even after the ice has been cracked, as it has been here.
So many things I'd add, but...

Well, it's just that much more of an experience when you've got a sense of smell as keen as a bloodhound.

By the way, Fave song today:

"Galois Theory"

Fuck yes.

"you, too, can exist in your very own parallel time" -the watchmaker
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  11:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent Eugene! Shtank Factor indeed. "Hey, did someone here shit on fish" = Title of first LP! I have no story to share of a similar vein unfortunately.

Only that my Volleyball team is called "Stinkfist" coz we suck. If we ever make a grand final we are going to play that track as we walk onto the court. Maybe we could get some proper uniforms to match hahaha.

On having to broach delicate subjects I have a friend who is a noisy smoker. I cant bring myself to tell her to can the noise she makes when she exhales. I know, its a little thing but its hell annoying.

Today
Andrew Kenny - Angel Sigh
and
Televise - Mercy Seat

Never Lose That Feeling vol 1 = best covers lp in an age for me.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  05:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Commute standouts for today:

Amusement Parks on Fire - "Smokescreen"
Doves - "The Sulphur Man"
Shiner - "Too Much of Not Enough"
Sciflyer - "Burning Down the House"

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  09:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today's tracks on the 'Pod:

"I've Been Lost" - +/-
"Pothead" - Mystery Machine
"Loomer" - MBV
"Destiny" - Starflyer 59
"Slow Down" - Space Bar

The +/- track is from the 2006 SxSW listing, which is still available here:
http://audio.sxsw.com/2006/mp3/_plus_-_plusminus-Ive_Been_Lost.mp3

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  11:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The iPod today decided it would "randomly" select some Ides of Space -

I Promise not to Notice if you Promise to Pretend
This Side of the Screen
Reinventing Dream

and it threw in some Doves, Failure and JAMC to boot.

Queued up for the evening commute: "The Great Decline" - Terra Diablo

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  7:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Croz - like weezing?

yeah Boomer - I remember liking that +/- track...
...and a little old school Space Bar eh?! :o)

btw - I think I've asked this before - but, what's up with epo 555 costing like 35 bucks on amazon?! - I wanted to buy it - but, not at that freakin' price...

Today...
I was diggin on the newest EODM!

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  12:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont think its wheezing - just some kind of whistling - only happens when she smokes, from what i can tell.

Today
The old Verve lp I scored for 10 sheets! Deluxe! The one from '93. Also got the '04 Modest Mouse - thats a load of bollix tho..

Also got Mazzy Star
Know Your product by the Saints. All 10 sheets each.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  05:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"Treasure" - Chapterhouse
"I'll Be Your Saint" - Adorable
"Code Red" - Boxer Rebellion
"Heart of Chrome" - Singapore Sling

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  09:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not quite sure where I ran across this discussion about the mono version of SG. Peppers but I downloaded it a few weeks ago and just got around to listening to it. From what I recall this was the original mono mix that the beatles did themselves before everything was moving over to stereo... Its really cool so far with what I can tell on my little computer speakers. Some clearly different sounding versions of several tunes so far.

Eugene got any info on this thing? I guess thats my song of the day. :)
Go to Top of Page

RaizcalHeat99
Swervelette

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  10:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds completely different, doesn't it? Eugene mentioned on the previous page that he has the original mono vinyl! As well as Magical Mystery Tour - mono vinyl...too cool.

Currently liking the Sgt.Peppers(Reprise) - bassy as hell and Paul(?) shouting at the end..um..ah.. forerunner of heavy metal?
Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  05:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doh! No doubt now that I read about it in this very thread and then searched it out after. wheeeeeee.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  05:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I gotta say, I didn't hear much of a difference at all. There's a couple of spots here and there of little things that aren't on the real version, but that stuff is on the Anthology.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  05:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When I first heard you guys talking about mono versions of Beatles albums, I freaked out thinking that Mono had covered the Beatles. Stranger things have happened (Laibach covering the Beatles, for one).

SO today, it's Mono - "The Flames Beyond the Cold Mountain" - off You Are There

so looking forward to next months' Life and Times/Mono/Pelican show...

Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  2:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomer0127

SO today, it's Mono - "The Flames Beyond the Cold Mountain" - off You Are There

so looking forward to next months' Life and Times/Mono/Pelican show...

Oh, YEAH.
I'll be catching at least one of their SoCal appearances.
...planning to have my hearing severely assaulted.

Can't wait!

"you, too, can exist in your very own parallel time" -the watchmaker
Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  06:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Today its Metric - "Monster Hospital" off 'Live It Out'

Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1049 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  06:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'You'll Never Be a Man' - Elvis Costello from 'Trust'

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  10:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today,

"Meltdown" - Aerial Love Feed

Was it Croz who pointed this band out? Great stuff, reminds me quite a bit of Chapterhouse.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  3:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes - And you and I

Unfuckingbelievable.

I can't recommend enough to the uninitiated to sink their teeth into the Close to the Edge LP. Especially this track.

Edited by - interloper on 04/27/2006 06:10:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  06:31:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
10,000 Days - Tool

You know these guys dont put out albums with much frequency, often making fans wait 5 plus years for each release but damn, is it worth the wait! Unbelievable album!

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  11:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MattW

The song by Johnny Cash about the train cars
"sittin in an empty road all dusty,
and the L&N, don't stop here anymore"

Mother Fuck

Anybody know the name of that one? I just listened to it 3 times in a row.

Get this, It's called "The L&N Don't Stop Here Anymore"

The Stone Roses sound good today, I'm probably the last swervie to get into this band. Sometimes I wish I didn't like pop music, but I do.
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  12:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arrr the Stone Roses.. Lovely stuff.

Today tho..

6 by 7 - Light Up My Life

Go to Top of Page

RaizcalHeat99
Swervelette

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  01:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayseed

10,000 Days - Tool

You know these guys dont put out albums with much frequency, often making fans wait 5 plus years for each release but damn, is it worth the wait! Unbelievable album!

Yeah, I've been counting down the days, getting it tomorrow. I gave into the leak and have heard a few songs. Right in Two sounds awesome.

Hayseed, do you already have the goggles and art? Don't know if Tool is just messing with some fans, but it all looks a bit corny. Sorta like Rosetta Stoned
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  03:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just heard Rosetta Stone as i got home, its cool and long.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  8:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jambi - Tool

Guess what Ive been listening to all weekend.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  01:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard The Pot, or whatever its called, this morning goin to work. I loved it too. Go Tool!

Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  07:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Guess what's playing on the radio as I post this?!
The 5+ year gaps between Tool discs are always worth the wait
what an amazing band :)

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  12:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The new Tool disc gave me an extra mile and half on my jog today. Totally took my mind off it. Whats sad is after I listen to even good bands after listening to Tool you can see just how far ahead of everyone else they really are. Hell, most people consider this album a lackluster effort compared to Lateralus.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  12:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul Simon & Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Diamonds On The Souls Of Her Shoes

My friend sent me a compile of her life in Afrika. Too cool.

Go to Top of Page

RaizcalHeat99
Swervelette

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  01:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like all Tool releases(70+ min), they take time to digest, which is part of the attraction. But with their previous albums, there just seemed more to explore. Anyway it is new Tool and I'm liking it.

Lost Keys - not a 'song' but cool intro to RS
Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1049 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  01:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was arguing with my mate the other day that Tool's last decent album was Undertow and that since Aenima (which was patchy in my book) they've got steadlily worse (as they've got more prog). He totally disagreed.

But then again I bought the new Pearl Jam album yesterday which I thought was pretty good (much better than the last couple) and I'll probably get a load of posts telling me how much Pearl Jam suck. But opinions are like arseholes, everybodys got one.

FST: Pearl Jam - World Wide Suicide

Edited by - chris on 05/02/2006 01:32:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  06:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive prolly sung along to more pearl jam tracks than most artists in the last 20 years. But not lately. Why is the new one different chris?

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  08:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today - "Eighty Eight" - The Elevator Division off Movement

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  10:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wake Up Early - Starflyer 59 off "I Am The Portugese Blues"

and

The Fire Down Below - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

I might catch a little shit for that last one, but fuck that, its a good song.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  2:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayseed

Wake Up Early - Starflyer 59 off "I Am The Portugese Blues"

and

The Fire Down Below - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

I might catch a little shit for that last one, but fuck that, its a good song.

It went on yesterday, and it's goin on tonight...somebody somewhere aint treatin somebody right.

Shh, I'm a hessian too.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  2:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Simon and Garfunkel - America

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  12:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trespassers William - Lie In The Sound

One of Jaguar's oldies.

Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1049 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  01:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ive prolly sung along to more pearl jam tracks than most artists in the last 20 years. But not lately. Why is the new one different chris?

Dunno really Croz, I was thinking about this the other day and can't put my finger on it. I think PJ are better when they are writing pop songs and rocking out rather than being acoustic, introspective and contrary to the mainstream (I like that stuff too). Sometimes you can tell when a band enjoyed making an LP and that is reflected in the performances. Going to see them in August can't wait.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  02:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In your honour chris;

Pearl Jam - WMA

Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1049 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  03:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'He won the lottereeeeeeeee!'

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  07:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She's Goin' Through My Head - Material Issue, off "Freak City Soundtrack"

What a perfect pop song! :D

Go to Top of Page

Melwas
Assistant Driver

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  08:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pearl jam are headlining reading festival. wahoo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic