Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  10:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not just today, but for the past few weeks:

"Moonlight" by Mono, from their lp titled "You Are There".

I could gush on for pages about the beauty of this record, but instead I'll just say; if Godspeed You Black Emperor, Slowdive (sans vocals), and Mogwai all mashed up into one gorgeous collective sounds appealing to you, then wait no longer.

This record has been relentlessly pulling my heart out of my chest, and crushing it to pulp... then it puts it all back together, so it can do it again upon my next rendezvous with it.
...Particularly the final track "Moonlight". Thirteen minutes and four seconds of absolute bliss.
It just owns me.
Easily a top candidate for my "record of the year", already.

(By the way, Happy belated B'day, rocket!
Nice grab on the January CD, too.)

"you, too, can exist in your very own parallel time" -the watchmaker

Edited by - em on 03/31/2006 2:51:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  10:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Em, I'm back on Can's Future Days LP this week. The Can track on Em's last Bernie's pushed me into this band after hearing about them for so long. It seriously took me only a handful of listens to shoot right into my favorite all time records. Geesh.

Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  11:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey 'loper.

Speaking of CAN, you, me, and WAB's... I've had something special set aside for you, specially, in my next WAB outing.

Yeah, man, here's to... "Future Days".

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  11:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah. Leave me hangin. I guess I'll just wait and be surprised. Can actually got me onto a lot of things German and 70's, especially Tangerine Dream. Love em. Faust, Amon Duul, the list goes on.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  2:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whipping Boy - Barkmarket.

Dave Sardy is God. Write that down.

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  3:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Already gotten it written down. Barkmarket is right up there with Swervedriver in terms of being staggeringly overlooked. Sardy recorded the only Enon record that I really care about. The first one....

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  3:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speaking of Whipping Boy - I've got:
Heartworm and
When We Were Young (single)
but, I didn't really get thaaaaat into 'em - maybe I'll give 'em another spin?

Today...
Verve - "Star Sail"
off - Storm In Heaven

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/

Edited by - rocket on 03/31/2006 3:36:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  11:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mellowdrone's new LP Box.

Very nice. These guys sound like a mix of On and Starflyer 59.

A link to one of their songs:

http://www.redmusic.com/downloads/Mellowdrone/FashionablyUninvited.mp3

and here's their website:

http://www.mellowdrone.com/airportmain.html

Edited by - hayseed on 03/31/2006 11:04:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

jennybrown
Swervelette

2 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  7:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While doing a search for some Swervie info. I came across this band called "Shelby" (ironically my daughter's name). It seems that SWD was one of their main inspirations. I checked out a few of their songs and they seem pretty darn good. But my heart still belongs to Swervedriver and now Toshack Highway.

http://www.shelbynyc.com/
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  12:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
David Gilmour - The Blue

I just grabbed the Dave BBC perfomance from a few weeks ago. Unbelievable. The sound is incredible. If you're on the Dime and remotely a Dave/Floyd fan, go find this. It's got one of the best guitar solos he's ever played. And he's freaking old now!

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  11:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good one jennybrown. Im on it. Nice to have a new chick on the boards. Prepare for the flirting to commence. There's a lot to said for a girl who likes SWD! Rare rare stuff. Ill go looking at Shelby.

Today
Marcy Playground - Sherry Fraser.

Geno's first WAB was a folk/country explosion but this one stands out for me. Geno you get the award for delivering the most foreign tunes everytime. Thanks for that.

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  03:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janes Addiction - Classic Girl

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  05:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

Good one jennybrown. Im on it. Nice to have a new chick on the boards. Prepare for the flirting to commence. There's a lot to said for a girl who likes SWD! Rare rare stuff. Ill go looking at Shelby.

Today
Marcy Playground - Sherry Fraser.

Geno's first WAB was a folk/country explosion but this one stands out for me. Geno you get the award for delivering the most foreign tunes everytime. Thanks for that.

Thanks, Bro' that's mighty kind of you to say that. I'll be back to WAB eventually. Right now, got too much going on, and planning a big trip to an Island in the southern hemisphere!

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  05:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"Venosa" - Amusement Parks on FIre

Reminds me of a melancholy time in high school for some reason.

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  10:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damn! Sugar is so badass. Im spinning the Beaster EP. I have a hard time finding a better trio of songs than Tilted, Judas Cradle, and JC Auto. Im also really digging on Slingshot by On.

Not bad, huh? Its a Bob Mould and Ken Andrews day for me.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  10:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And oh BTW, for all you closet industrial-heads out there, Ministry's new album Rio Grande Blood is Al's hardest ever.

Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  11:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
'Cool Kids Keep' American Analog Set ..off 'Set Free'

Those darker forces just ain't real
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  7:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
January - "falling in"
off - i heard myself in you

damn this disk is sweet. anyone who likes the Engineers would probably also dig this. i might be on an emotional roller coaster right now - but, this disk was so perfectly beautiful to me this morning my eyes actually teared up a bit!

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  01:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
high praise indeed.

I love Beaster too 'seed.

Looking forward to my first SWD meeting too Geno.

Amusement Arcade On Fire - not rapt in the name of that band. I might have to check them out anyway hey Boom.

Today Ive relistened to interlopers first WABs so:
Brainiac - I could Own You
Eagles Of Death Metal - I Only Want You
XTC - Another Satellite
Zen Guerilla - What I Got

Love those 3 endings to I Only Want You, haha

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  2:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Loon LP - Tapes N Tapes

Outstanding disc.

Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  4:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

Today...
January - "falling in"

damn this disk is sweet.

Isn't it just?!
I was initially drawn them because Sarah Peacock (of Seefeel and Scala) played bass, and bought that disc sound-unheard based on that.
Check out their second (and, unfortunately, final) lp called "Motion Sickness", too, rocket. You won't be sorry.
The record ends with a heart-crushing version of Yoko Ono's
"Have You Seen A Horizon Lately".
Love it.

Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  7:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was just listening to sugar. my fave is jc auto off that. i love beaster.

today all sorts of stuff. i think i was all over the place.

joy division - atmosphere or warsaw sticks out, but now I fell like slitting my wrists...
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  12:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you gotta watch that with JD james for sure.

Today Ive been doing the Black Keys thang. Going to see them tomorrow. I was surprised the tickets were 45 sheets a pop though! Thats pricey!

So:
The Black Keys - Shot Stack Billy

Go to Top of Page

RaizcalHeat99
Swervelette

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  02:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
downloaded the famed MONO version of Sgt. Peppers just recently - yes..may have already been discussed before... but I feel like sharing.

The only copy I had was the stereo LP..and to my ears the mono version is far superior, except for Within You Without You and A Day in the Life . The transitions are better, the whole thing is warmer and the strangest thing is Lucy... sounds exactly the way I remember the song to be, if that makes sense - maybe from radio from way back when.

Standouts in mono - LSD, Fixing a Hole(Ringo's hi-hats so clear), SgtPepper Reprise.

and the best - Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite, never really liked it before but loving it now!
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  04:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RaizcalHeat99

downloaded the famed MONO version of Sgt. Peppers just recently - yes..may have already been discussed before... but I feel like sharing.

The only copy I had was the stereo LP..and to my ears the mono version is far superior, except for Within You Without You and A Day in the Life . The transitions are better, the whole thing is warmer and the strangest thing is Lucy... sounds exactly the way I remember the song to be, if that makes sense - maybe from radio from way back when.

Standouts in mono - LSD, Fixing a Hole(Ringo's hi-hats so clear), SgtPepper Reprise.

and the best - Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite, never really liked it before but loving it now!

Wow, I never knew there was a mono version.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  04:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is cool. Were did you find that? I have the Glyn Johns version of Get Back, that one is pretty cool too. Much better than the regular version, I think.

Today it's all of set 2 from David Gilmour live in Frankfurt. Excellent recording! 'Loper, have you grabbed that one from the Dime? Good stuff! I snagged that BBC recording you had suggested, sounds awesome!

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  05:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

cool em - I didn't know there was another January disk - I'll have to add it to my want list.
thanks!

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  06:00:02 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brooks

Wow, that is cool. Were did you find that? I have the Glyn Johns version of Get Back, that one is pretty cool too. Much better than the regular version, I think.

Today it's all of set 2 from David Gilmour live in Frankfurt. Excellent recording! 'Loper, have you grabbed that one from the Dime? Good stuff! I snagged that BBC recording you had suggested, sounds awesome!

Yep, da Dime. I'm still listening to it. There's a DVD version lurking around of the television broadcast of the same show. Unfortunately, it's only got three tracks, but it's a must as well. Again, yeah, Dave certainly isn't breaking any ground, but I love the fact that he's probably 60 years old by now and still sounds this incredible. His guitar solo on the last half of Out of the Blue absolutely brings me to my knees. A whammy pedal is a wonderful tool in the hands of a player like Gilmour. Geno would love that one.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  06:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today's iPod commute standouts include...

"Like A Moth" - The Joy Circuit
"Confusion Trip" - Chapterhouse
"The Hearttaker" - Starflyer 59
"A great song I'm puttin' on my next WAB"
"Over" - SWD

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

RaizcalHeat99
Swervelette

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  06:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

quote:

C'mon, you haven't? I dunno.
well I found it here http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26355
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  1:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today:

Neighborhood #2, #3 - Arcade Fire

Also, I just cant seem to get over Fashionably Uninvited by Mellowdrone. You guys should do yourselves a favor and download that MP3 that I linked at the top of this page. What a great song.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  7:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today it's the version of 'Last train to Satansville' that's from the Maxwell's show. Adam's lead at the end is fucking fantastic, particularly when he drops in the theme from the Good Bad and the Ugly. It's on the live Mezcal comp if anyone hasn't heard it.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  11:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to the Black Keys tonight YEE HARR!

Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1049 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  01:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were having a clearout in Virgin Megastore so I bought some CD's yesterday dirt cheap:

Super Furry Animals - Guerrilla (2CD)
Mazarin - A Tall Tale Storyline
Steve Nieve - Windows
Babe Ruth - First Base
Shudder To Think - Funeral at the Movies & Ten Spot

The only one I've really had a chance to listen to was Shudder to Think which I picked up because I was pretty sure someone on here rates them pretty highly. Pretty good on first listen, have to say that a lot of people on here would probably like it too.

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  08:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

cool em - I didn't know there was another January disk - I'll have to add it to my want list.
thanks!

Righteo, rocket.
It was released on the Must Destroy label in 2004.
They have a couple of early 7"s out, which contain demo/alternate versions of a couple tracks from "I Heard Myself In You", plus a couple non-lp tracks. Worth looking for, depending on how into them you get.

Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  08:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My fave song today is STILL:

"Moonlight" by Mono from "You Are There".

I'm tempted to sing this record's praises again, but . . .

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  08:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yikes, my age is telling here, but, I have a Mono Vinyl of it. I don't know when the Beatles officially went stereo. Anybody know? Everything I have up to and including Magical Mystery Tour was recorded Mono. All the Parlophone CD's of their early stuff are also MONO. So anything "stereo" is faked or simulated, post-recording, which might have been the thing you noticed with the sound, RaizcalHeat.

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 04/07/2006 08:52:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  10:16:13 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've got pretty much everything including both American and British releases. All the American ones up to Sgt. Pepper were all rearranged with different LP titles and in Stereo. All the British releases up to Revolver I think were all mono. This is why I kept all versions. I've never heard of a mono Magical Mystery Tour. Gene, if your Pepper is a mono vinyl, I bet it's worth some money because I've never in my life seen a mono version. It gets a little confusing on some of the early releases though because actually pretty recently in a record shop, I spied a copy of Please Please Me that was a reissue, but was in Stereo.

Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  1:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This song pretty much sucks, but I like it.
Not High - Times New Viking
They're from Columbus, OH

http://www.myspace.com/timesnewviking

Saw them open up for Bob Pollard at the Southgate House and the live show was cool.
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  4:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've got pretty much everything including both American and British releases. All the American ones up to Sgt. Pepper were all rearranged with different LP titles and in Stereo. All the British releases up to Revolver I think were all mono. This is why I kept all versions. I've never heard of a mono Magical Mystery Tour. Gene, if your Pepper is a mono vinyl, I bet it's worth some money because I've never in my life seen a mono version. It gets a little confusing on some of the early releases though because actually pretty recently in a record shop, I spied a copy of Please Please Me that was a reissue, but was in Stereo.

Interloper,

I'm holding it in my hand now...Monaural. And a mint condition Insert with the cut-out photos..pristine. MAS 2653 Capitol Records-Canada.
Guess what? Magical Mystery Tour...MONO. Got it on now. MAL 2835 Capitol Records (Canada).

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  7:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I didn't know they existed. It appears as though they are rare, but not goin for all the much on Ebay after all.

Go to Top of Page

softrockrenegade
Swervelette

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  8:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Send softrockrenegade an AOL message  Reply with Quote
23 minutes in Brussels - Luna

boy do I alrady miss them. reminds me of being a single guy. brought this hot hippie chick to a luna show in Philly back in 99 or so. She was so hot and sexy but had BO. still a great memory.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  05:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by softrockrenegade

boy do I alrady miss them. reminds me of being a single guy. brought this hot hippie chick to a luna show in Philly back in 99 or so. She was so hot and sexy but had BO. still a great memory.

That's interesting. I'm admittedly not familiar at all with Luna, but 23 minutes over Brussels is the name of an insanely good and infamous Suicide bootleg.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  5:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thats funny. I hope you had a nose peg man.

Tweezer - Skin Your Teeth

Edited by - crozarey on 04/09/2006 6:11:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  12:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well she was a hippie...they never bathe. Part of the culture.
Yep, that "stank" thang can really ruin a relationship or potential one. I had something ...ugh...similar happen once, that I won't go into here on the board, but I might regale Croz with the story when we are in a more relaxed setting. It's funny, but probably not for public release.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  4:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh come on Gene. We need more stuff like that around here.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  6:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

c'moooonnnn Geno - lay it on us!

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  11:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saying its not fit for public release means you have to release it here, its hardly public.

Spill it Geno!

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  11:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and today its

Matt Handley - Dont Flinch

I love it when he rocks out, but this is pretty cool too.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  7:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
January - "all time"

deliciosooooo!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000