Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  12:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
INSTICT-"BOOMBOX"

We ride the warp of space into the womb of night.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  12:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Beatles - A Day in the Life

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  5:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I listened to Beethoven's 5th on the car radio tonight. Wassup with that? I don't know why people rave about it. It's not that complex, just a lot of pomp and circumstance sounding material. If I had a 5th to pick it would be Shostakovitch's 5th anyday. The finale on that one (to quote Spinal Tap) nearly makes me weep. For real.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  6:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eugene

I listened to Beethoven's 5th on the car radio tonight. Wassup with that? I don't know why people rave about it. It's not that complex, just a lot of pomp and circumstance sounding material. If I had a 5th to pick it would be Shostakovitch's 5th anyday. The finale on that one (to quote Spinal Tap) nearly makes me weep. For real.

Yeah, for some reason everyone's popular culture grabbed that one as eternity's signature drama riff. His 9th is still the best, and whatever, cause the Rite of Spring beats em all.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  6:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If I had a 5th to pick it would be Shostakovitch's 5th anyday. The finale on that one (to quote Spinal Tap) nearly makes me weep. For real.

What is it about 5th Symphonies, anyway? My favorite is Prokofiev's 5th symphony. My wife (to be at the time) couldn't believe the tears running down my face when we saw the Atlanta Symphony play it. That first movement really moves me.

My song of the day:

"Glass Jaw Test" - Shiner off Starless

Edit: Beethoven's 4th symphony is my favorite. Look out! Flying violins! And my favorite show piece is Tchaikovsky's 4th, hands down.

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127

Edited by - boomer0127 on 02/27/2006 6:49:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  11:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are talking greek to me there.

Today
Engine Down - Cover

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  05:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

quote:

Yeah, for some reason everyone's popular culture grabbed that one as eternity's signature drama riff. His 9th is still the best, and whatever, cause the Rite of Spring beats em all.

If we are talking Beethoven, for me it's the violin concerto (I believe he only wrote one). Especialy if you can find a version with Pearlman on lead. Besides that I listen to a lot of Mozart piano concertos.

But today it's anything off of Chips From The Chocolate Fireball by Dukes Of Stratospere. I really like the stuff from the 25 O'clock EP included on there! Reminds me of early Syd era Floyd. I think Rocket introduced me to that one! Thanks man!

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  05:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, Interloper; I was also digging that Gay Sharks tune on that page you linked. Cool stuff! I guess I didn't realize you were a musician.

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  07:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovin the Gay sharks tune and really diggin' the new people person tracks! I can't wait to get the next burn so I can crank some in the car.
So how does one that doesn't do mypsace get ahold of the coveted smug bros. CD?
Go to Top of Page

just.landed
Swervelette

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  11:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Send just.landed an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Brooks, I love the Dukes Of the Stratosphere album, especially "Brainiac's Daughter" & "Vanishing Girl".

Today it's "Henry VII" by the Tyde.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  4:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks for the cool comments fellas. My intention is to be self indulgent and send some of this stuff out with the next burnies, including the Smug bro LP.... Check this guy out

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=45799961&MyToken=D22FD5D4-6CBA-494E-9BF6A20A03D06E2B2293841859

Another productive friend that I've been doin stuff with. He does virtually all the playing on his stuff.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  12:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah thats the best stuff ive heard today

Kal Vakota - Oh Caroline

Edited by - crozarey on 03/01/2006 12:06:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

just.landed
Swervelette

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  09:25:50 AM  Show Profile  Send just.landed an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Today it's Tristeza's "La Tierra Sutil" from their newest record "A Colores". I've been putting off buying it because I knew Jimmy LaVelle left the group but I picked it up in a wild record shopping spree this weekend and it smokes everything they did with him in the band. They even replaced him with a female guitarist which is nice to see in the instrumental guitar rock genre as most of these groups tend to be devoid of girls. Good stuff.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  05:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

yeah thats the best stuff ive heard today

Kal Vakota - Oh Caroline

...which I must add is a Cheap Trick cover...

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  12:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unpainted Arizona - The Bluetones

I recently added the rest of their discs to my collection. The only one I had previously was Expecting to Fly. I have to say that Im thoroughly impressed. Very good music indeed.

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  2:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by just.landed

Brooks, I love the Dukes Of the Stratosphere album, especially "Brainiac's Daughter" & "Vanishing Girl".

Today it's "Henry VII" by the Tyde.

Yeah, I dig both of those now! This was a great find. It's also inspired me to go back and listen to some of the XTC stuff, especialy Skylarking and English Settlement.

But yesterday and today I have not been able to stop listening to The Warlocks - Rise And Fall album. Awesome, my favorite by them, with Pheonix a close second.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  05:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cherry Cola - Eagles of Death Metal off their new album Death by Sexy

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  08:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, I have another one.

Searching With My Good Eye Closed - Soundgarden

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  11:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Sweet - Action

Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  4:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
such great heights - postal service & iron & wine
Go to Top of Page

just.landed
Swervelette

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  01:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Send just.landed an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm partial to the Warlocks' "Surgery". The whole doo-wop feel of that record just does it for me.

Today's song was "Bluer than Midnight" by The The.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  2:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Beatles - Helter Skelter

I never get sick of it. I swear it's still the most vicious thing I've ever heard.

Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  12:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Down Rodeo - RATM

I miss those guys.
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  3:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Beatles - Helter Skelter

I never get sick of it. I swear it's still the most vicious thing I've ever heard.

You and Charlie Manson.....

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

just.landed
Swervelette

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  7:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Send just.landed an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Today it's "Patience" by Super Furry Animals.
Go to Top of Page

Shagger Dave
Swervelette

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  8:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Away From The Numbers"- the Jam

It has all the aggression of the early Jam records but hints at the depth that Weeler would get to lyrically on later material. Pity he would do Style Council before Heavy Soul.

Drink beer, talk bollocks, fall down.
http://www.blackcatbone.34sp.com/phpBB2/index.php
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  02:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Autolux - Plantlife

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  08:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Beatles - Helter Skelter

You and Charlie Manson.....

You know, I've never heard of that guy, but the strange thing is whenever I hear Skelter, I could swear that the Beatles are sending me some kind of secret message about an impending race war. It's the strangest thing.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  10:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And..I've never seen a photo of you and Charles Manson in the same place at the same time...hmmmmmmmmmm...

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 03/08/2006 10:41:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  06:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, and you never will Gene.

I gotta go with a song and an LP today. The new David Gilmour is fantastic. No surprises, it's typical for him and sounds very similar to his first solo LP, but who gives a damn? This guy can sing two lines, and play four notes on a Strat and it's better than the next four hundred records you can put in front of me.

Also, Gene's "Chappaqua" is playing a lot this morning. Great work Gene, I really like the "offness" of it, if that makes any sense.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  07:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up the new Gilmour Tuesday also! I agree, I dig it! His voice sounds better than it has in years. Parts of it remind me of Obscured By Clouds era Floyd as well as his first solo album. Love the guitar solos on The Blue! The only song I'm having trouble getting into is Take A Breath, it just sounds a little too 80's. But as always, the sound quality and production is great! Good CD to relax to.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  07:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

Autolux - Plantlife

Nice one Croz! I really like the song after that as well, Capital Kind Of Strain. Hell, the whole album is great!

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  07:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brooks

I picked up the new Gilmour Tuesday also! I agree, I dig it! His voice sounds better than it has in years. Parts of it remind me of Obscured By Clouds era Floyd as well as his first solo album. Love the guitar solos on The Blue! The only song I'm having trouble getting into is Take A Breath, it just sounds a little too 80's. But as always, the sound quality and production is great! Good CD to relax to.

Yeah, Take a Breath reminds me of Dogs of War, but regardless of how dated it sounds, I love Momentary Lapse of Reason anyway so I don't mind. The new Gilmour is all I've been listening to.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  10:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah! Sorrow, Yet Another Movie, Terminal Frost......all favorites of mine. Sounded great live as well. Gilmour is easily one of my all time favorite musicians.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  12:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dude, Gilmour is in my top five or six favorite guitar guys ever. The main riff at the beginning of Sorrow is one of my favorites.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  1:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Haha, and you never will Gene.

I gotta go with a song and an LP today. The new David Gilmour is fantastic. No surprises, it's typical for him and sounds very similar to his first solo LP, but who gives a damn? This guy can sing two lines, and play four notes on a Strat and it's better than the next four hundred records you can put in front of me.

Also, Gene's "Chappaqua" is playing a lot this morning. Great work Gene, I really like the "offness" of it, if that makes any sense.

Thanks, Loper. Was it off-beat or just completely off-base? Heh heh....Appreciate the comments.
Too spontaneous maybe. I come up with these loops sometimes, that I just can't let go...gotta do somethin' with 'em...if you catch my drift.

Gilmour...oh yeah...always. The thing I like about him the most, is that he makes his axe sing, and remains lyrical to a tee. Usually understated, and a master of spacing between musical phrases. Lets the music breathe...very important. Versus cluttered offenders like Eric Johnson, Satriani, and Steve Vai (whom I can't stand). Three notes from Gilmour will outdo thousands from others.

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 03/09/2006 1:06:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  4:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I hope that didn't sound lame. Some of the guitar hits sound intentionally behind a little bit. I like it that way though.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  06:04:17 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today,

Yes - Going for the one

I woke up with it in my head and it hasn't left yet. Killer slide guitar shit!

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  08:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your Sound-the Rocketchops Band

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  10:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today,

A whole bunch of stuff by Chapterhouse. I dunno the exact songs. They are the band of the day on the 'Pod. Much thanxo to rocket for pointing them in my general directionne.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  11:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

most excellent Eugene - you are too kind.
and
also most excellent to you Boomer. All I have is Whirlpool - I need to find more... Jaguar had some live stuff I was hoping to get from her - but, then she dissapeared forever.

Today...
Audio Learning Center - "If you Choose"
off - Friendships Often Fade Away

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  2:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yo rocket - you gone with the wind? Hope you're all okay out there...

sotd: "Sirius" - Pelican off The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  6:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah - I saw the Witch and a bunch of monkeys! - Dorothys top flew off - - it was crazy shit!
actually - it was all around the outskirts of the city - I didn't even hear sirens...
but, my wife said they were seeing funnels pretty close to us - just not touching the ground.
all is well with us - thanks Boom.

Today...
The Capes - "Mexican Broads"
off - HELLO
incredible CD!
it'll make an appearance on my next WAB vol. 5

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Edited by - rocket on 03/13/2006 7:03:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  11:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im lucky to not need to worry about your freaky weather lads. Only drought and bushfires (which are pretty bad) but nothing exotic like twisters or hurricanes etc. Glad you are aok rocket.

Today,
Kal Vakota - What You Are
'loper's on lead!

Is there space for boarders to post their music on the boards here someplace? The stuff you have all shared with me is beginning to fill a cd worth of really interesting gear. Love your work Rocket, Loper, Geno and Terry. Dont think Ive forgotten anyone else.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  05:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Killing Joke - Hosannas from the basement of hell LP

Woah, this new one is fucking great. Instead of going into some big 'real' studio, they went to a modest basement studio and recorded with the guy who did their first demos. To try to get a differernt sound they actually mixed the whole lp through very old radio speakers...I..love...it. What balls.

Thanks brother Croz!

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  7:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Crozfire!

Today...
The Unicorns - "Inoculate The Innocuous"
off - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're All Gone?

coming to a WAB near you.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  11:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Brad, can you post these amazing tracks from the boys on the site for the other Swervies to check out?

Today, via their website which is streaming 3 tracks of their new lp due out on sunday:

Gerling - Good Timing
no
Gerling - Gator

Recorded in Hollywood, this newy is sounding a lot more like the Gerling I like. The guitar oriented sounds seen on some of When Young Terrorists Chase The Sun are back! YAY!

Really cool - Ive played them over and over today.

http://www.gerling.net.au/html/ Click the Welcome sign and prepare for some new (and better - Dont often get to say that about a favourite band's 4th LP!) Gerling sounds

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  05:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

good one Croz - I dig those tracks - expecially th 3rd one

Too bad I didn't have any of you guys warn me not to buy "Meltdown" by Ash - what a piece of shit CD! The vocals are still cool but, the heavy metal guitars suck ass...

Today,
The Appleseed Cast - "Fishing the Sky"
off - mare vitalis

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  05:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today, still listening to the new David Gilmour.

Edited by - interloper on 03/17/2006 05:20:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  05:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been listening to the new Secret Machines disc the past few days... I guess its the production but it doesn't seem to have that edge that the last one had. At least I'm really liking Alone, Jealous, and Stoned and Daddy's in the Doldrums, the other tracks may come around but it just doesn't seem to rock my car stereo like I want it to.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000