Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  09:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

M - Pop Music

Shoobie doobie doo wop?
Bop Bop doo wap?

My song for today:

South - "Same Old Story"

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  10:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now, it's:

Sugar - "Gift" It popped up on the MP3 player at work a few minutes ago. Awesome beginning!

Most of the day it has been:

Paul Weller - "Come On / Let's Go" I really dig his new album. "Sing you little fuckers, sing like you've got no choice!" Great stuff!

By the way Interloper, I ordered Future Days this week from my local record shop, I should be able to pick it up sometime this weekend! It's been a good week for music!

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Go to Top of Page

Zedhead
Assistant Driver

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  7:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Zedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Today it's Starflyer 59 - Wake Up Early.

What a band.

"That boy sure does like his whammy bar..."
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  7:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gift has one of the best opening guitar riffs ever! People say that Copper Blue is Sugar's best. Wrong! File Under: Easy Listening takes the cake. Awesome song.

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  12:24:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Radiation" - 12 Rods

You're the man, Hayseed. Great mix. I was worried that you'd put something from the new Failure b-sides album on there, since I put a couple songs on my new mixes. Replicants is a great alternative. I love that album.
Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  06:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
'it's all gonna break' - Broken Social Scene
Think this is gonna be my pick for best new album of 2005 ...not counting anthology discs, 'Juggernaut Rides' is the best of the decade, let alone this year :)

Those darker forces just ain't real
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  09:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you like the 12 Rods song, Moen. As far as Failure is concerned, you'd think I was Ken Andrews PR guy or something. I dont think Ive made a mix yet without one of his songs on it. However, my next mix will definitely not have an appearance from Ken and Co.

Today its: Plowed - Sponge

Great song from back in the day.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  10:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What always works for me is

"That Always Works" - Terra Diablo

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  3:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Jesus Lizard - Liar LP

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  7:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strudelhead

Hey Rocket....
If your diggin the BJM at the moment, I've got an excellent recording from this past tour. Let me know if your interested......

Wow Struddle-le-hee-whoooo! sorry man, I just found this post that you put out. Sounds awesome - let's work a trade.

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  05:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"Yes" - Manic Street Preachers and "Flower Carrier" - Long Fin Killie both off em's 3rd WAB. Great ending to the set!
(thanks again for uploading the track names to CDDB)

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  06:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"4th of July" by Galaxy 500 off of "This is Our Music." Man, this is a great album! I can definitely hear their influence on BJM.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  1:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today:

Burn you down - Chainsaw Kittens

One of my all time favorite albums.

Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  1:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomer0127

"Yes" - Manic Street Preachers and "Flower Carrier" - Long Fin Killie both off em's 3rd WAB. Great ending to the set!
(thanks again for uploading the track names to CDDB)

right on, boomer.

I'll never forget hearing "yes" for the first time. actually it was prolly the 2nd or 3rd time, because i had a really hard time deciphering the lyrics initially (which is why I typed them out for you WABsters)...but when I did read along for the first time, I was just so affected by it. downright disturbing stuff. love it.

long fin killie...yeah, great band. I highly recommend their lps "houdini" and "valentino". luke sutherland is quite a talented guy. I saw them live a few times in 1995, and in addition to singing, he would play guitar, sax, violin, and mandolin.
quite a bit of energy, that band had.

"you, too, can exist in your very own parallel time" -the watchmaker
Go to Top of Page

drmcd
Assistant Driver

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  2:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Eternal - Joy Division

Because it's that kind of day (again), AND it's Halloween.

So, uh... everybody knows the Chris Deburgh post was a joke... right? Yeah, the Steam post might've been a bit cheesy, but in light of baseball sucking so hard in Chicago for so long...

Go to Top of Page

Strudelhead
Assistant Driver

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  6:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rocket....send me your address.

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations." W. Churchill

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  7:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Insanity" -- Oingo Boingo
From their Halloween Farewell Show
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  10:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sugar - Frustration

The closest thing ive ever heard to Loveless. Hey you all know of Loveless sounding gear, can you tell me? Im craving the Loveless sound a lot.

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  12:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Engineers - "One In Seven"
off the full length...

Thinkin this will make it on WAB vol. 5 ...

Croz - gotten any Swirlies yet? good match I think...

addy comin your way Struddle.

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  12:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

let me know if my email got to ya Struddle - I got an error...

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  2:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hack It Off - Barkmarket, off of The Gimmick.

Come on feel the noise. :D

Go to Top of Page

Strudelhead
Assistant Driver

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  9:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nothing rocket....I got the same error message, my email is sennenox4@adelphia.net

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations." W. Churchill

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  9:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tex, Don And Charlie - Fake That Emotion

All my mates have been raving about these guys for yonks. If you are into quiet bluesy gear you'll like 'em. Ill wack this on my next WAB. Eugene ill send you the whole lps, youre going to freak.

Plus im going to see them in 3 weeks time, even wangled the sicky to boot.

Rocket, I have the one Swirlies lp that Jeronimo sent me, ill have another quiet listen. Cheers dude.

Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  04:42:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

Rocket, I have the one Swirlies lp that Jeronimo sent me, ill have another quiet listen. Cheers dude.

oh man, croz, if it's not "what to do about them" or "blondertongueaudiobaton" that you've got, then you seriously need to hear those records.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  07:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayseed

Hack It Off - Barkmarket, off of The Gimmick.

Come on feel the noise. :D

Barkmarket. What a great band that got completely overlooked.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  2:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey Boomer - you surprised me!
the guilt of taking too long is already starting to kick in!

Thanks man!

My tracks of the day are both of "The Warlocks" tracks from your WABs.
All I can say is WOW - and tell me more about them please.

Go to Top of Page

Strudelhead
Assistant Driver

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  5:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

Hey Boomer - you surprised me!
the guilt of taking too long is already starting to kick in!

Thanks man!

My tracks of the day are both of "The Warlocks" tracks from your WABs.
All I can say is WOW - and tell me more about them please.

The warlocks totally kick ass.....heavier than the BJM but cut from the same stone. 3 guitars, 2 drummers, and 2 hot chicks on keyboards and bass! I'll included their latest release in your package........and some older stuff!!!

http://www.thewarlocks.com/news.php

Go to Top of Page

Strudelhead
Assistant Driver

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  6:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fuck it......

Come Save Us - The Warlocks
Jam of the Witches - The Warlocks

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  6:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info transfer, Strudel. I pretty much found this band via my college's radio staion programming director. He told me to go buy the CD, guarenteed that I would love it. He's always right about these things. He also told me that the band was in town the day before. Arrgh. I don't know much about their previous albums.

FYI, strudel - I put Thursday's Radiation and We Need Starpower on the discs I sent out. I've sat through meetings with the latter song stuck in my head for hours. In fact, it just got stuck in my head now.

edit: I don't really hear the BJM sound in the Warlocks all that much, but then I am only familiar with the Methodrone album (love it!) and their latest EP (which I thoroughly hate). The Warlocks have a great wall of sound that just keeps going. Mmmmmmm. Wall of sound.

Edited by - boomer0127 on 11/02/2005 7:45:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Strudelhead
Assistant Driver

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  9:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The BJm have a much cleaner sound. (tons of reverb) Many of their songs are just your basic 60's, first position chords....A, D, C, ect.....The Warlocks definetly build that wall of sound with power chords, distortion, compression, ect.......I hear the resemblance in the two groups in the longer jam songs. Lots of layered guitars, feedback, and that single guitar playing the lead. I think seeing the BJM live is a much better comparison which I neglected to mention. I guess Ride, MBV, or early Jesus and Mary Chain would be better comparisons when describing sound. I've got the "Phoenix Album" and "Rise and Fall", which are both really good albums and would highly recommend. But "Surgery" is by far their best release to date. I missed them by one day as well, totally pissed!! They are currently on tour in Europe, so if any of our friends on the Isles or the mainland get the chance.....check'm out!!!!! I love 'Thursday's Radiation'....great song.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  04:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bark Psychosis - Inqb8tr

off Codename:Dustsucker

Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  04:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

Bark Psychosis - Inqb8tr

off Codename:Dustsucker

oooh, very nice one, croz.
excellent album.
I love bark psychosis.
I thought "hex" was an absolute masterpiece, so waiting for 10 years for "codename: dustsucker" to come out was absolute torture.

I thought it was really cool that lee harris (drummer for talk talk) played on "codename", since it was pretty obvious on "hex" that bark psychosis was heavily influenced by the later talk talk stuff.

...I think I'll have to play some bp today!

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  05:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks so much Strudlehead! man I can't wait...

Today...
Shiner - "Spinning"
off Boomers last WAB

very much like the later Life and Times that so many of us are diggin on. I saw Shiner a handful of times live and wouldn't have guesed that the recorded tunes were that good? Live they were just kind of mush - couldn't really distiguish anything. But, don't get me wrong - they still rocked! - But, live verse recorded work is like night and day.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  07:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just snuck out of work to the record shop, picked up The Warlocks "Surgery," and Stereolab "Transient Random Noise..."

Only listened to the first track or two of both so far.

I can't decide which of the first two Warlock tracks is my favorite today.....they are both awesome! Nice call Strudel! Can't wait to hear the rest of the album!

I dig the first track off of the Stereolab CD as well.

Unfortunately the Can CD has not come in yet Interloper. Looking forwad to that one too. Oh well, back to work..........

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  09:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Peril pts 1,2,3..Appleseed Cast. Gotta check those boys out some more. Thanks Boomer. I'm gonnna have to eat all those sorry things I said about Mary My Hope, because I am really starting to like them, especially that track It's About Time. The singer really reminds me of Peter Holsapple (from the now long buried NC band the dB's).

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 11/03/2005 09:41:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  11:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
love's lost guarantee - rogue wave

going to see them dec 2 at the bowery ballroom
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  12:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joy Opposites - Cave In

The Warlocks CD is pretty awesome. Ive been listening to it for about a month now. Was going to be on my next WAB release but I'll mix it up and keep it fresh.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  2:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
<sticks tongue out at hayseed>

neener

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  2:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats alright. Poke fun if you will but Ive still put together a couple of pretty decent discs for the next round. All Im saying is, all you potheads grab your stashes.

Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  3:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
let them all talk - elvis costello from punch the clock

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  05:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Heroine Sheiks - Cock Asia

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  06:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

The Heroine Sheiks - Cock Asia

Yeah there's too many Cock Asians around here!

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  9:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The singer from Secret Machines reminds me of the guy from Mary My Hope a little bit at times...

Today...
The Boo Radleys - "Reaching Out From Here"
off - Wake Up!
This song alone makes the album worth owning - which is a good thing considering several other tunes off it with the hornes kind of suck.
Thanks for the generous gift Uncle G! (I don't want to sound ungratefull)

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  05:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, can one of you hosers send me the most updated Bernies address list? Thanks

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  02:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Broken Social Scene- Finish Your Collapse And Stay For Breakfast

Do you know their website wanted to charge me $41 to send it to me within 12 days! The Lp Cost $16.

Anyway I found a copy at Bigstar for $32 with the EP included.
Its no YFIIP, but its adding interest with each listen. Sad to not have any real clear vocals and its very busy most of the time. 7/4 Shoreline is the only real single i could hear. So far anyway.
What do you all reakon?

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  09:01:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Red Sparowes....Red Sparowes....Alone and Unaware, the Landscape was Transformed in front of Our Eyes....off the Boomerang Vol 6 for Computer only collection. I think he put something else by them on his recent WAB. Really like this band. Anybody know anything about them...? Boomer chime in here... Love the chirping birds at the end. I am a big fan of birds. I do some enviromental recordings myself. Very creative, musical group. Clearly a cut above many bands...

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

Zedhead
Assistant Driver

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  10:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Zedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wheaton Calling and The Escape Engine - Burning Airlines, off of 'Mission Control!'

J. Robbins is the man.

"That boy sure does like his whammy bar..."

Edited by - Zedhead on 11/06/2005 10:51:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  04:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
"Triple Oceanic Experience" - King Cobb Steelie, off 'Project Twinkle'

Hey Croz... After going through that BSS album I kinda went 'huh?' too, guess I was expecting YFIIP part-2. After a few spins this one really is starting to grow on me, but you're right - it is busy sounding. Guess that happens when there's something like 16 members in the band now. As for singles, "Superconnected" could make a nice one, "It's All Gonna Break" would be an awesome one too if you could shorten it's 10+ minute length (even so it's a near perfect 10 minute long song). "Canada vs. America" off the bonus EP could get airplay, but it has a funky beginning that the top-40 alternative radio stations prob would avoid. Still a stong contender for the my fav of the year award.

BTW - Auzzies are getting robbed, the disc goes for CDN $16 to $18 up here.

Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  04:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
"Triple Oceanic Experience" - King Cobb Steelie, off 'Project Twinkle'

Hey Croz... After going through that BSS album I kinda went 'huh?' too, guess I was expecting YFIIP part-2. After a few spins this one really is starting to grow on me, but you're right - it is busy sounding. Guess that happens when there's something like 16 members in the band now. As for singles, "Superconnected" could make a nice one, "It's All Gonna Break" would be an awesome one too if you could shorten it's 10+ minute length (even so it's a near perfect 10 minute long song). "Canada vs. America" off the bonus EP could get airplay, but it has a funky beginning that the top-40 alternative radio stations prob would avoid. Still a stong contender for the my fav of the year award.

BTW - Auzzies are getting robbed, the disc goes for CDN $16 to $18 up here.

Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  04:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Apologies - the site is still doing weird things to my browser.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.22seconds. Snitz Forums 2000