Page: of 149

Baileys Hat
Assistant Driver

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  6:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nine Stone Cowboys

http://www.ninestonecowboy.com/

Go to tunes and there's a couple of stella tracks to download. You'll really like this band.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2005 :  4:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tar - Jackson

The whole friggin LP.

Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2005 :  5:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favourite song today comes from an era of which I have only hazy memories of because I was so young at the time and heard recently and I did not realise was a song by an artist which ranks among one of my favourites of all time is....

13 Steps lead down - By Elvis Costello off Brutal Youth

and also You Little Fool from Imperial Bedroom.

The new Elvis Costello DVD The Right Spectacle is awesome

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  09:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

yeah Lope - that's what I love about them! - the beloved early XTC sound. I only have that one song though...

Today...
Guadalcanal Diary - "Lips of Steel"
off - 2x4

I found an old cassette tape I put together a million years ago called "Best Kept Secrets of My Album Collection" - so that's really where my Guadalcanal pic came from... I've been havin' a blast listening to it.

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  7:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Local H-Alive. Fuck do they rock. Thanks to my friend Roger for turning me on to these guys. Anybody else here from the Midwest who knows about this band? Hayseed?

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  07:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Eugene - Local H are great. I have the first two... but, I lost track of them over the last few years - they probably have another one out by now?

Today...
Death Cab For Cutie - "A Movie Script Ending"
off - The Photo Album

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Edited by - rocket on 09/26/2005 07:37:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  09:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know of Local H. As a matter of fact, there's a picture in their first album of a the band with a water tower in the background. Thats in the city of Zion, Il which is about five or six clicks from where I live.

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  10:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sugarless - Autolux

It kinda feels like an impossible day, but I don't complain. I'm over it I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  4:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

today so far....Dave Gray - Babylon, is the best song ive heard

Croz, that David Gray is really good stuff. He has a brand new one out. If you liked Babylon, you will like the new CD. His voice doesn't grab me as much as those melodies. Fantastic songwriter.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  4:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Geno,
DG is a favourite of a few chicks i used to see. Its easy listening but i reakon his songs are pretty beautiful too. I have 2 of his lps but not sure of their names off hand. If you want some more let me know.

Local H have a song called Bound For The Floor which i think i put on my Deserted Island WAB Geno, so theres another track to suss out. Its one of those catchy ones that are hard to shake.

Today,
still Caribou. (im without my pc and tracknames are way too hard to rememebr without it) Also The Doves have been prominent in my playlist lately, big similarities with Radiohead dont you reakon?

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  4:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eugene

Local H-Alive. Fuck do they rock. Thanks to my friend Roger for turning me on to these guys. Anybody else here from the Midwest who knows about this band? Hayseed?

I think I remember them from around the mid-late-1990's.
a couple of their songs got radio-play around my parts.
(incidentally, a track from croz's first WAB is one that I recognize)
a two piece band, from what I recall.

my fave song today is:
"fight revolution team" by gerling (from croz's '04 WAB)

trying not to overplay it!

"you, too, can exist in your very own parallel time" -the watchmaker
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  07:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I have 2...
King Cobb Steelie - "Juggernaut"
and
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - "Evergreen"
off - Methodrone
but, I heard them on:
Mezcal Teds "Never Lose That SWERVE Feeling vol. 1"

I've been loving the disk dude - still haven't dug in to vol. 2 yet...
Vol. 1 has some great pics from many of my old favorites and also a handfull of things that I hadn't heard. I don't have Mystery Machines "Glazed" disk - great track! Also, don't have BJM's Methodrone (just a few tracks that made it on the anthology), Violettes, and King Cobb Steelie - all great stuff!
Where did that King Cobb Steelie come from? - I just looked on amazon.com and couldn't find a CD with "Juggernaut" on it? What a song!
Thanks a ton!
Great art too

Edited by - rocket on 09/27/2005 07:50:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  09:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

Also, don't have BJM's Methodrone (just a few tracks that made it on the anthology)

Rocket - you can get Methodrone free off their website:

http://media.deadbees.com/BJM/The%20Brian%20Jonestown%20Massacre%20-%20Methodrone.

My song of today is "The Smoke" by/off Terra Diablo.

edit: Local H and Riddle of Steel playing together in ATL next month! Woot!

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127

Edited by - boomer0127 on 09/27/2005 09:04:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Boomer - In the past - I've been able to listen to it - but, not actually download it?
although, I'm gettin' the hook up sometime soon.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  3:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today, Circles - Bob Mould

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  05:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any idea if there's a full version of Dylan's Knockin on Heavens Door that doesn't fade out before the first verse? Seems like there should be more.

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  06:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loper I'll check to see if I have that on my home pc tonight... so many files on there that I can't remember.

SOTD: BRMC - howl

I'm diggin the new cd mostly.
Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  07:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw the life aquatic and i am deep sea diving with david bowie.... sometimes you just forget how good something is..

seu jorge's bowie renditions are great, sung in portuguese on an acoustic guitar. overall it's a great soundtrack.
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  08:00:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

great movie james!

Today...
Mystery Machine - "Ride"
off Glazed - and the "Never Lose that SWERVE Feeling" Mezcal T put together
dude - so funny that you put that song on your mix - I mentioned that I have 10 Speed - and on that disk is the video for "Ride" - I was wishing I could put that particular track on my mix but, I never new that the track existed on Glazed. Very Swervedriverish!

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  11:06:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just got my hands on Local H's 2004 release "Whatever happened to P.J. Soles?" Not bad at all. Riddle of Steel is an exellent match for their tour. I'll definitely stay for their show once ROS is done.

Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  11:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Rocket,
Actually 'Ride' was named after the band, though the tune is definitely more Swervedriver than Ride sounding. Playing with titles on those comps too... like putting 'Nowhere' from Long-View on that vol. 2. Glad you're diggin' the discs dude!

Those darker forces just ain't real
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  2:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everyone,

Im currently listening to some of the best stuff Ive heard in a long time. You have got to listen to Foreign Born's newest EP, In The Remote Woods. It is ridiculously good. You can hear a couple of tracks here: http://www.foreignbornmusic.com/

I think you'll really like them.
:

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  5:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My friends from Yellowstone are passing through on their way back East in a few days, so I made them a good driving mix. The first song from the mix is my song of the day:
"You Were the Long Way Home" -- 764-Hero
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  11:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moen! I hope 764-Hero made that mp3 cd you have promised me mate! If not can i swap something for them as well....yeah i know that list is huge now... :-)

Go to Top of Page

fireovid
Swervelette

49 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  08:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Send fireovid a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
:zoviet*france: Cyclonic Sub Alien
Go to Top of Page

Scott in Maine
Assistant Driver

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  12:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Grupo Sexo" by Manic Hispanic (the Circle Jerks song in Spanish)

What does it say when my two favorite punk-rock bands are bands comprised of other punk band members who do cover songs? (Manic Hispanic and Me First & the Gimme Gimmes)
Go to Top of Page

drmcd
Assistant Driver

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  3:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little late on the Local H here - caught them live once, original drummer Joe Daniels had tasty licks, pretty cool watching so much noise out of a two-piece. Check "All The Kids Are Right" from Pack Up The Cats - "All your cred won't save you from the kids..."

Anyone scope new Teenage Fanclub, "Man-made"? It's kind of a dud if you ask me... woulda thought that the John McEntire (Tortoise, The Sea And Cake) twist would have made things interesting, but it feels just like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot...
Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  4:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drmcd

Anyone scope new Teenage Fanclub, "Man-made"? It's kind of a dud if you ask me... woulda thought that the John McEntire (Tortoise, The Sea And Cake) twist would have made things interesting, but it feels just like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot...

it's pretty mellow.
I do love all four songs by gerard love.

"born under a good sign" is particularly excellent.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  4:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today ive had a few already;
Doves - Snowdon
Beck - Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes
Johnny Cash - Mercy Seat (seriously amazing songwriting right there!)

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  4:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Shade and the Black Hat" -- Jeremy Enigk
What a great song. Does anyone have a copy of this? I'm putting it on a mix for someone and the last 15 seconds or so are scratched.
Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  07:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
"A Hundred" by Duel, off Rocket's Mezcal Feeling disc.
I know this is an old WAB release but new to me.
Actually this tune's been stuck in my head for two days now...
This is the Swedish guy on the forum eh Rocket? Man he's good!!!

Those darker forces just ain't real
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  08:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

yeah man - now they are Eliminator Jr. - but, jduel is not a part of that band...
I should find that link and post it in the NEW link thread...
lot's of mp3's to snag from those dudes.

Today I'm enjoying the new Nada Surf. Probablly not going to outshine Proximity Effect for me - but, I'm likin' it a lot.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  08:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today,

"Delaware" - Drop Nineteens off Em's WAB vol 2.

Go to Top of Page

Zedhead
Assistant Driver

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  3:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Zedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Today it's - All four of Gerard Love's contributions to the latest Teenage Fanclub album. I love them! Not too hot about the rest of the album though.

"That boy sure does like his whammy bar..."
Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  8:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zedhead

Today it's - All four of Gerard Love's contributions to the latest Teenage Fanclub album. I love them! Not too hot about the rest of the album though.

yep. I'm right there with you on gerard love's songs.
he's amazing. he just has the perfect voice for the fanclub's stuff, and his bass playing is always spot-on.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  07:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Feersum Enjin - "Lines"
off - Hayseeds latest WAB (vol. 3)

dude - this song rocks! sounds like a cross between the Gandharvas and Janes Addiction...
what can you tell me about them?

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  09:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've talked about Feersum Ennjin on here before. It's Paul D'Amour, former bass player for Tool and head guy of Lusk's, band. I like the very Tool "Third Eyeish" riff in "Lines" a lot. Check out their website, there's some other good clips: www.feersumennjin.com
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  11:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

awesome Moen - yeah - after I posted here I read a little blurb on amazon and remembered talking about them after reading about the Tool connection. But, the Lusk connection wasn't mentioned - and now I vaguely remember that too - I wouldn't have ever guessed that myself after hearing the Feersum Ennjin vocals. Lines is a really cool song - I need to get the EP.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  12:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What I'm hearing from their website is fooking fabulous. will probably splurge for the EP. Those vocals are so clear despite the high energy of the guitars. Here's the ultimate question...can they do it live?

Thanks for the recommendation. Great music.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  1:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

Hey Geno,
DG is a favourite of a few chicks i used to see. Its easy listening but i reakon his songs are pretty beautiful too. I have 2 of his lps but not sure of their names off hand. If you want some more let me know.

Local H have a song called Bound For The Floor which i think i put on my Deserted Island WAB Geno, so theres another track to suss out. Its one of those catchy ones that are hard to shake.

Today,
still Caribou. (im without my pc and tracknames are way too hard to rememebr without it) Also The Doves have been prominent in my playlist lately, big similarities with Radiohead dont you reakon?

Yep, Bound for the Floor. It hit me later Crozza, when I listened to some more of their music on Itunes. I clicked that one on, and it was like..woops..didn't Crozza stick that on one of the early WAB's?
Thanks Bro'...I had forgot about that one.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  1:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Feersum Ennjin is indeed no joke. I was lucky enough to get a copy of their EP and it kicks serious ass. Ive been waiting to put that track on a WAB release for a while now. Rocket, glad you like it bro.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  1:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

Does anyone have any idea if there's a full version of Dylan's Knockin on Heavens Door that doesn't fade out before the first verse? Seems like there should be more.

Isn't the version from Blood on the Tracks the full thing? Haven't listened to it a while.
Speaking of Dylan, did ye' see the TV special on him recently? Forget who the film-maker was. It was basically a biography, with great interviews from the musicians of his era and beyond, and plenty of Dylan talking also. I was very impressed that he seemed like a very down to earth solid citizen,nearly humble, and not the typical egotistical, self-consumed pop star. Changed my image of him completely. I'd just love to know how he got away with playing his guitar so out of tune all those years. You'd think at least the recording engineer would have jumped out of the booth and slapped him. Jeezus it's so out sometimes it's painful. His voice is another story; I've grown to like it over the years.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  6:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
today:

"empty highway" by space bar.

had it on loop for a good half-hour.

(props, rocket!)

Go to Top of Page

drmcd
Assistant Driver

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  12:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Dylan again:

Hate to OCD on the Secret Machines "The Road Leads Where It's Led" EP - but they cover Dylan's "Girl From The North Country". It's 9 minutes. Possibly the most beautiful thing I've heard in years.
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  6:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ides of Space - "No Trace of Fading" off Hayseed's WAB3. Well, between you and rocket, I'm gonna have to get this album. This band is great! Have you seen them, Croz?

I googled around trying to find out more info on them and I found a review for "There are No New Clouds" that had this great quote:

"And a record like There Are No Clouds is the fucking safe and certain stomach tonic that keeps me straight. If you think "Star Sign" is the best Teenage Fan Club song then you will like this record. If you feel Swervedriver's Raise was never recognized as the epic album it is, then you will like this record. If you find yourself placing My Bloody Valentine at the center of your heliocentric rock world, you will like this record. But it certainly will also appeal to anyone who doesn't have a clue what I just spent the last three sentences describing."

funny stuff. and a SWD mention!

Hayseed, a review will be forthcoming shortly. After a quick perusal, though, it's sounding like a real contender! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  8:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive never listened to one of my WAB releases as much as I have this one. I absolutely love the first track by Mellowdrone. I can never quite get that song out of my head. Glad you guys are enjoying it.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  11:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been loving Animal Johnson's brand new LP... Went to the launch on saturday and had a whale of a time. Ill include on my local WAB coming soon.

Also enjoying more locals in Lee Stardust and Brillig and La Femme La Fever. Thanks to winning on 3D. All should grace that WAB.

Decoder Ring in 8 days! Woohoo.

I havent seen The Ides Of Space or heard much buy them guys. Always on the lookout for the bands you have intro'd to me. Missed Moose recently as it was a school night and i was 2 hours away :( Havent seen much else on offer via you all. But im sure this will change soonish as the weather heats up.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  05:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Im diggin into Hayseed's 3 as well. Thanks.

Has anyone noticed the striking similarity between that new Weezer Beverly Hills tune, and Def Leppards Pour some sugar on me?

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  08:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Def Leppards Pour some sugar on me?

That very mention of that song evokes instant pangs of nausea...and that group...Lope you're hurtin' me today.

Cave In-Prognosis from Hayseed's WAB.

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 10/05/2005 08:03:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  08:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you laugh now, but I'm tellin you, the next time you hear it, sing the chorus to the Def Leppard tune over it, and you'll see what I'm saying.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000