Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  09:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
X-Ray Hip - The Grifters.

Too many people missed out on this band.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  10:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Interloper,
I just read this about the Wrens on their web site in the biography section: The wrens make their first 7”, Low
(1993), and send a copy to Camille Sciara at Grass records/Dutch East India. She offers a deal over the phone,
faxes a contract and they are signed in one day - becoming label mates and friends with Brainiac, Toadies and
others....

also this:

Halfway into first tour supporting Secaucus, the wrens are told that if they do not sign their ‘big buck record
contract’ all promotion for Secaucus will be stopped. The wrens, frowning on strong-arm tactics, do not re-sign
and as promised, all promotion (including support for a pending tour of Europe with Brainiac) is pulled. The
head of the record company, infuriated, commences layoffs of involved record company personnel and vows
that “the next band to walk through that door will be made famous - at any cost”. The next band through the door
is Creed. Grass Records becomes Wind Up Records. Creed becomes famous at any cost.

...knowing you are a Brainiac fan - I thought that was an interesting connection...

... and for the Bright Eyes fans there was this:

The wrens’ first tour’s first show is in Omaha, Nebraska playing to an overwhelming five-person crowd
that includes Robb, Conor, and Todd of the as-yet-unfounded Saddle Creek label/scene
(Conor and Todd of Bright Eyes and the Faint respectively). The wrens and the creek become friends,
and over the next few years play many shows together, have many sleepovers,
and later issue a split 7" w/ Park Ave on their Saddle Creek label.

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/

Edited by - rocket on 08/09/2004 10:48:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  11:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Fripp" -- Catherine Wheel
Haven't listened to this album in awhile. Fucking Fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  12:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Magnet-Where Happiness Lives. Tooo beautiful. Takes me back a few years to that sound I've always loved. Not unlike some of Ian Matthew's material when he went solo, departing Matthew's Southern Comfort. There's this album he did, now solidly out of print called Valley Hi (recorded by Mike Nesmith of Monkees fame..) where there is a similar field.

If the rest of Magnet's material is like this...I've gotta have it.

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 08/09/2004 12:19:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  12:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

Hey Interloper,
I just read this about the Wrens on their web site in the biography section: The wrens make their first 7”, Low
(1993), and send a copy to Camille Sciara at Grass records/Dutch East India. She offers a deal over the phone,
faxes a contract and they are signed in one day - becoming label mates and friends with Brainiac, Toadies and
others....

also this:

Halfway into first tour supporting Secaucus, the wrens are told that if they do not sign their ‘big buck record
contract’ all promotion for Secaucus will be stopped. The wrens, frowning on strong-arm tactics, do not re-sign
and as promised, all promotion (including support for a pending tour of Europe with Brainiac) is pulled. The
head of the record company, infuriated, commences layoffs of involved record company personnel and vows
that “the next band to walk through that door will be made famous - at any cost”. The next band through the door
is Creed. Grass Records becomes Wind Up Records. Creed becomes famous at any cost.

...knowing you are a Brainiac fan - I thought that was an interesting connection...

... and for the Bright Eyes fans there was this:

The wrens’ first tour’s first show is in Omaha, Nebraska playing to an overwhelming five-person crowd
that includes Robb, Conor, and Todd of the as-yet-unfounded Saddle Creek label/scene
(Conor and Todd of Bright Eyes and the Faint respectively). The wrens and the creek become friends,
and over the next few years play many shows together, have many sleepovers,
and later issue a split 7" w/ Park Ave on their Saddle Creek label.

Yep, Brainiac are/were actually my bro's (same town and cirles you see)...Camille also signed my friends Ten O Clock Scholar that toured a few times. An old band of mine opened a show for the Wrens a long while back. Don't remember them though.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  1:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Interloper,
Very intersting...
As I said - I've been diggin' the Wrens CD big time! Bought it yesterday - and have listened to it 3 times!
I'm trying to make myself listen to other things until tomorrow at least! - but... it's..... very.... tempting...
I can't decide whether you would like it or not.

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  3:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"California Stars"- Billy Bragg and Wilco - from the "Mermaid Avenue" album. Thanks Woody Guthrie for being so damn cool!!!!!!

Resin Dogs-"Gimme A Break"- Thanks Croza!

We ride the warp of space into the womb of night.
Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  5:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank God we made it to a new page so I don't have to look at that huge Kings of Leon picture anymore.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  5:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ha. Yes.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  01:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shall i quote that post to get it back on this page? Sorry again - it wasnt that big on the website i pinched it from..

Jdog, Mermaid Avenue is choice, im much keener on Billy than Wilco though, you got any early wilco? I remember one track from the late 80's i liked.

YouJean, you would like the lp Where Hapiness Lives came from, On You Side. It has similiar sounding tracks throughout. Apparently Kings Of Convenience, also sound very similiar, or that might be Kings Of Woolworths, anyway im off to find some of their gear. Magnet are from Norway.

Todays track, Died Pretty - Slide Song, followed by Empty. Great gear.

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  05:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That Magnet CD is very hard to buy. I've got an order with Djangos.com, but they don't have it in stock, I must wait. And...it's pricy, probably 'cause of importation.

And while we're on the subject of Wilco...I've concluded that I really don't like their sound,but I was kind of into them, when I first heard Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Then it grew on me like moss...The lead singer's voice is kind of thin and nerdy sounding. Apparently live, they are a complete bore.

In a similar vein, Radiohead also leaves me unfulfilled, shall we say. They are hyped a lot, and too much electronics for my liking. They change from recording to recording...B.F.Deal, I don't see what the fuss is all about. They completely lack soul, at least to my way of listening.

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 08/10/2004 05:55:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  10:15:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Weezer - "Tired of Sex"
off Pinkerton

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  4:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

shall i quote that post to get it back on this page? Sorry again - it wasnt that big on the website i pinched it from..

Jdog, Mermaid Avenue is choice, im much keener on Billy than Wilco though, you got any early wilco? I remember one track from the late 80's i liked.

YouJean, you would like the lp Where Hapiness Lives came from, On You Side. It has similiar sounding tracks throughout. Apparently Kings Of Convenience, also sound very similiar, or that might be Kings Of Woolworths, anyway im off to find some of their gear. Magnet are from Norway.

Todays track, Died Pretty - Slide Song, followed by Empty. Great gear.

I have Mermaid Avenue,Billy Bragg and the Blokes, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I'm not a Wilco fan really. I am very dissapointed with Y.H.F. In fact it damn near sucks. But Mermaid Avenue is one of my favorites, ever. "Cali Stars" and "One by One" blow me away!!!!!\

It makes me THAT happy!

Edited by - Jeronimo on 08/10/2004 5:03:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  5:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Uncle E, you need a copy of Mermaid Ave. If you don't have it you need it. I can set you up. You'll ditch your Y.H.F. when you hear Mermaid Ave broheim!

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  5:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, song of the day:

Croz get the Funky Fresh Forum award for G. Love- "Cold Bevy" Hell's yes mofo's!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  5:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, that was three posts in a row.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  7:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo

Hey Uncle E, you need a copy of Mermaid Ave. If you don't have it you need it. I can set you up. You'll ditch your Y.H.F. when you hear Mermaid Ave broheim!

Hokay Sexpot...let me check it out. If I canna find it easily I'll hit you up on your offer (and then, he was on her, and off her).

Thanx, Bro...

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  8:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I LOVE everything Wilco has ever done (especially Summerteeth) - and I have seen a few videos of live performance stuff and thought that it was great too. They just play - they don't rock all over the place...
I have seen Uncle Tupelo a million times back in college - and back then - they did rock all over the place! Now I prefer Wilco...

Edited by - rocket on 08/10/2004 8:18:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yorik
Assistant Driver

United Kingdom
165 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  04:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yorik's Homepage  Click to see Yorik's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A Perfect Circle - The Hollow

layered guitars, woot
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  04:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Skeleton Key - The Worlds most famous undertaker.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  06:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
skeleton key - watch the fat man swing.

onyaloper ;)

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  07:13:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey whats a good place to start with Death Cab For Cutie? Anyone.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  07:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go straight to Jawbox's "Novelty" LP.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  07:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

skeleton key - watch the fat man swing.

onyaloper ;)

Wait till ya hear the live show I recorded.

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  10:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

All of their albums are fantastic, but I'd start with The Photo Album or their new one, Transatlanticism. It's fucking fantastic. We've Got the Facts, and We're Voting Yes was the first album I got of theirs, so I guess it's the one that sucked me in. Plus, You must get the Postal Service record. It's a little Pop, a little Electronic, and all good.

Edited by - moenkopi46_2 on 08/11/2004 10:14:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  11:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I really need some Death Cab myself!

Also, I just read that there is a new 3 disk Mansun collection coming out. (not the creep show mansun freak - the other Mansun) ... anyway - I wonder how it is? One of the CD's is all B-sides. I kind of liked their 1st CD and I have heard some really cool B-sides and miscellaneous tracks - but I felt their 2nd album was pretty booring.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  12:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today...
Boo Radleys - "Bullfrog Green"
off C'Mon Kids

Edited by - rocket on 08/11/2004 12:38:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  12:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jawbox.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  1:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey Interloper - how was the gig?

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  1:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for askin. It went real well. The only sucky thing was that we played with a band that didn't really have a following condusive to what we are into doing. This Friday we're goin out of town to a more appropriate venue.

Gene's right. Don't stop the rock. I make endless recordings in my apartment, without a real band, without real amps, and without a real studio. And don't ever believe you can't pull rock off properly with gear that exists as software. I've fooled plenty of people ("great tones...what are you playing through, and how do you record the drums?") Not that this is the route you want to go, it just serves as an example of self reliance if need be. There is always a way....My lazy ass needs to get burnin on the Bernies 2 action comps. I'll include examples.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  3:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

thanks Interjamer. yeah - I would like to get my hands on some of my own home studio computer stuff just to be able to work ideas out etc... But, you know the feeling of jammin' a song out with bandmates and everyone getting the vibe just right! - that's the best feeling in the world!! - but, self reliance is an important tool and I know I have a lot to learn.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  3:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There are indeed advantages to group efforts. My problem over the years was a lack of tolerance for other people's bullshit, so it kind of forced me to do my own thing. The right collective situation never presented itself that often. I've countlessly found myself in the situation of .."well, that's all over with because so and so is a fuck...what now?...well, fuck em...I can do stuff alone". Im hugely fascinated with the notion of creatively working around certain hinderances. It also helps to have computer ability and the right software. As far as what's better..who cares...that's too subjective of an argument. I'd never discount either and besides, the only thing that matters is the end result.

It's not "my" band, but I love my new playing situation because the guys are extremely capable musicians so the playing field is wide open, and they want me to write equally. A swell bunch they are.

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  12:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paw -- "Death to Traitors" Rocket, do you have Dragline? I went through some cd's in storage and can't find it.

For anyone interested, Minus the Bear are playing a live on air for KEXP at 3:00 pm pst on 8/20.
http://www.kexp.org/home.asp?noflash=false
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  01:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
k so its we are all voting yes, weve got the facts, The Photo Album and Transatlanticism. Not bad that 4 lps get a recommendation.

I have a few Postal Service tracks here, but their version of Against All Odds, yes that tragic tune, is rank. Ill hunt some down anyway.

Is Jawbox similiar splinterloper? or are you just giving your current fav a nod? Im struggling to get the Belew lp you suggested.

today

Buck 65 - Leftfielder

Onya ppl.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  04:51:59 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Crozirilla...Op Zop Too Wah is worth it. It's my favorite Belew lp. He's such an insanely good guitar player, but he has the presence of mind to not make "guitar player" albums. You'll love it. As far as Jawbox, the handful of times I've heard Death Cab, they struck me as sounding EXACTLY like Jawbox did.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  05:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man that track The New Year by Death Cab is sublime. I cant wait to hear some of the other gear.

Great recommendation lads! Loper, im on Jawbox now mate.

Once again I love your ways

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  05:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You should get involved with the bit torrent thing....there's tons of Death Cab up and around, and there's also a torrent for Jawbox's discography on punktorrents.com right now.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  05:56:17 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Umm, yeah. Upon reviewing "the new year" again, you need to hear Jawbox. Not taking anything away from Cab, but my god, this sounds frighteningly like Jawbox. Im noticing a lot of bands that people are hot for these days sounding like "classic" Dischord bands.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  06:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There's a free Death Cab download linked at KingBlind if you haven't already grabbed it:

http://mp301.epitonic.com/files/reg/songs/mp3/Death_Cab_For_Cutie-The_Employment_Pages.mp3

------------------------
I need a clever sig. Bad.
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  06:41:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm ignorant. What's Jawbox sound like? I take it, they come highly recommended? Will check out their site.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  06:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jawbox was a great great band. You don't hear the name mentioned a lot, but they are owed a huge amount of credit. Definately from the punk rock school, but further down the line. Intellegent lyrics, great melodies and songs, arranged and played by extremely good and creative musicians. The drummer on the last couple of lp's is particularly amazing. Now, if they're new to you, they might not sound as fresh as I perceive them due to the fact that so many bands now have so much of them in their musical lineage, but back in the late 80's/early 90's no band had sounded quite like em. They were born within the same DC/Dischord scene that gave birth to Fugazi (I think possibly one of the five or six most musically referenced bands in all of the "indie" world). I simply love em.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  07:35:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Moen - damn! I didn't read your question until this morning and I just mailed out your pack - yes I do have Dragline - (on CD too even) - I have their release after that too - but, it's on vinyl. Let me know if you want to get your paws on Paw and I'll hook ya up. I love that CD! - and always have. Many of the Lawrence bands were pissed about Paw having a hit song though - they didn't feel that they had been around long enough - or I also heard that they were spoiled kids with a bunch of great equipment. I never felt that way - and neither does my buddy that I jam with. He was friends with a couple of those dudes in college and talked a lot about music with them and partied with them... never said a bad thing about 'em.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  11:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Nada Surf - "hyperspace"
off - the proximity effect
it always changes - but, at the moment this is my favorite Nada Surf CD! (i love them all)

Go to Top of Page

Derek Pistoll
Assistant Driver

Niue
199 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  2:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just listened to a CDR left by some friends in from out of town. Its simply says the "Euroboys" and wow, every song is completely different. At first I thought it was Tortoise, then Can then a whole slew of other bands, but it was only one. Pretty refreshing and really good. I'll find out more as I think you all would dig it too.
Go to Top of Page

bradsneighbor
Swervelette

10 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  9:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kissing The Lipless by the Shins. Ever had someone break your heart and you're supposed to be over it by now, but for some reason, your thoughts keep returning to them in your mind?
Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  11:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the Shins, and they're from New Mexico! Go figure. Maybe we're teh next Seattle! (although the shins signed with seattle big shot subpop records. drats)
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  09:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Serafin - "Stephen's In The Sky"
off - No Push Collide

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  3:01:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

So... my buddies wife asked me if I had ever heard of a band called "Keen". I haven't but I thought - what better place to ask around than the omnicient collaborated mind of the Swervedriver Forum! Have any of you heard of this band? She said I would love it - and she's desperate to find them...

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  3:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=11:zy2vadoky8w1

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  8:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

thanks man! - I'll go exploring...
do you know anything more than what the article said 'loper?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.25seconds. Snitz Forums 2000