984 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  11:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

quote:
Originally posted by moenkopi46_2

"Tomorrow & Me" -- Michael Nesmith
(He was the Monkee in the stocking cap)
After he quit the Monkees, he went on to record some pretty great countryish stuff in the early seventies. Dirty and gritty, like I like it.

His mom invented white out.

I know, he refuses to do Monkee reunions because he doesn't need the money.
Go to Top of Page

raise
Swervelette

2 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  12:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jesu - heartache

...but currently rockin

swervedriver - she's beside herself
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  05:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lonely woman - Ornette Coleman

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  3:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
India - John Coltrane/Eric Dolphy

Don't know what got into me, but all the jazz vinyl is out this week after about a year long hibernation

Go to Top of Page

Scott in Maine
Assistant Driver

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  03:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know, he refuses to do Monkee reunions because he doesn't need the money.

Thought he did one reunion... but yeh overall the Monkees reunion (which is still going on forever much like the Who's "farewell tours") is a trio sans Nesmith... He also did what is considered the first music videos in his short film "Elephant Parts," which has some pretty funny skits in it. I think that won some sort of special Academy Award too... I think I have (had?) a copy of that in my video collection somewhere...

BTW, if you haven't seen it already, their 1968 film "Head" (co-written by Jack Nicholosn!) is insane...
Go to Top of Page

Scott in Maine
Assistant Driver

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  03:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
And I'm still looking for someone who has any Loop gear.

Loop were a great band that should have had better production (Alan Moulder would have been perfect). In any case, I have all of Loop's CDs and EPs, including that split/collaboration with Godflesh under the name of "Loopflesh" or "Fleshloop" depending on which song of the 7" you play (they do "Straight to Your Heart" and "Like Rats")

I also have a lot of Main as well, Robert Hampson's post-Loop ambient outfit. Saw Loop live a bunch of times when they did their 1990 tour of the East Coast (saw them at Maxwells and CBGB), saw Main once (w/ Labradford as support who blew them away) and interviewed Robert two times for my fanzine, once for Main and once for Loop. Real nice guy too...

AND... I also have stuff by the Hair and Skin Trading Company, the band formed by John and Neil (the rhythm section) after Loop broke up. They are more like Loop than Main... ah yes, interviewed John as well....

Let me know if you are interested in gettign copies of my stuff and I'll give you an address to send CDRs and postage money.
Go to Top of Page

Crom
Swervelette

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  7:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't stop listening to flawed by swervedriver...
Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
572 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  06:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MORE THAN WORDS !

oink
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  08:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Year of the Rabbit - "Hunted" and "River"

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  09:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wire - Live at the Metro

I love this band dearly

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been diggin'on the latest mailing form crazy Croz.

Died Pretty is a great one and of course the Underworld is choice.

I owe you now brohiem.

We ride the warp of space into the womb of night.
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cerulean-"There Is No Us"

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  4:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Salmon fishing is funky on your dick skinners when 2nd Toughest Of The Infants is playing! I still have a stain to prove it.

TOO MUCH INFO!

Iron And WIne - Such Great Heights
off the Garden State soundtrack.

I cant get the chorus out of my head, which is a good thing :)

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
572 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  6:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote

D U E L ! ! ! !

oink
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  08:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Magnet - "Last Day of Summer"
off - On Your Side

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Go to Top of Page

fireovid
Swervelette

49 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  09:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Send fireovid a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Toto - "Africa"
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  11:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Fixx - Red Skies

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  06:05:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the black keys - 10am automatic
from crozmonkey's latest offering.
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  10:21:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
78 SAAB- Like it Was Before

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  10:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today...
Autolux - "Subzero Fun"
off - Future Perfect

It's been hard for me to pick anything besides these guys for the last month!

Edited by - rocket on 01/06/2005 10:27:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  12:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

O.K. - I have to add another new one!
richard hell and the voidoids - love comes in spurts

I love this tune Interloper! - It's another one from you that reminds me of the earlier more punk and reved up XTC...

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  12:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That whole "Blank Generation" LP that it comes from is worth buying.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  12:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sweet - I imagine that it does! - I'll be adding these guys to my list for sure...

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  12:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's Robert Quine on guitar who just passed away last year. A very schooled guitarist, dig the double tracks of guitar on the tune. Good stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  5:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ween-the blarney stone

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  5:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Morphine track off Moen's last burnies. Deluxe

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  5:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fireovid

Toto - "Africa"

!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
572 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  5:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"richard hell and the voidoids - love comes in spurts"

Man, I love this band ! They were so damn damn damn good ! Check www.richardhell.com for some nice writing about Quine's death. what a drag. He played on lotsa famous records (Matthew Sweet, Lou Reed etc)

also check www.IvanJulian.com - he was the other guitarist. There's some portions of songs from his band The Outsets (1980-85) for download. his spastic guitar playing is well represented !

(And for those who didn't know, Marky Ramone was the drummer for the Voidoids)

If anyone wants some of these tracks, email me and I'll email them back:

Chinese Rocks (Heartbreakers 1975) - yep, the Ramones song that Richard Hell wrote with Dee Dee. This verison was recorded before Hell left The Heartbreakers.

"Oh" - reunited Hell & The Voidoids - from 2000 or something like that. was on a compilation Wayne Framer put together... can't remember more details...

"blank generation demo" it's only 36 sec long tho... bummer

"White Punks On Dope" - not a Richard Hell song, but it was listed as one when I downloaded it, so I left it that way. kinda funny. bit Zappa-esque...

oink
Go to Top of Page

Zedhead
Assistant Driver

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  05:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Zedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Today for me Swervies, it's been Hit the City - Mark Lanegan Band, off Bubblegum. After the rumor came up on here of Adam and mark, I've been on a bit of a Mark binge heh. Bubblegum after a few listens became a more and more enjoyable album, I'm liking it pretty fine.

Also, I'm listening to this Aussie band Oneironaut, because I'm desperate for swervedriver influenced music. Well, they probably took it one step too far heh, this track, 'Alan Smithee,' while enjoyable, sounds to me like if 'Never Learn' had a vocal track on it. He's sounds alot like Adam, I don't know if it's intentional. Go to Oneironaut.com.au and you can listen to a few tracks, 'Karma of the Queen Bee' is very very Swervie/Sonic Youthish, especially the Adam-esque vocals.

"That boy sure does like his whammy bar..."
Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
572 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  05:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i love Beautiful Day. it was the first U2 song in years that actually got me interested in them. must ssay tho, i bought that last album and listened to it (kinda) once.....

but then i did finally get into Achtung Baby about 3 years after it was released..... can't say i'm in any rush to buy the new U2 record tho...

oink
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  08:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Zedhead - I'll definitely check that link!

Whitewater - I'd take you up on those tracks - although I feel bad because don't have any mp3's at work to repay you with...

Today...
Sonic Youth - "Theresa's Sound-world"
off - Dirty

Edited by - rocket on 01/07/2005 08:07:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  08:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitewatersky

"richard hell and the voidoids - love comes in spurts"

Man, I love this band ! They were so damn damn damn good ! Check www.richardhell.com for some nice writing about Quine's death. what a drag. He played on lotsa famous records (Matthew Sweet, Lou Reed etc)

also check www.IvanJulian.com - he was the other guitarist. There's some portions of songs from his band The Outsets (1980-85) for download. his spastic guitar playing is well represented !

(And for those who didn't know, Marky Ramone was the drummer for the Voidoids)

If anyone wants some of these tracks, email me and I'll email them back:

Chinese Rocks (Heartbreakers 1975) - yep, the Ramones song that Richard Hell wrote with Dee Dee. This verison was recorded before Hell left The Heartbreakers.

"Oh" - reunited Hell & The Voidoids - from 2000 or something like that. was on a compilation Wayne Framer put together... can't remember more details...

"blank generation demo" it's only 36 sec long tho... bummer

"White Punks On Dope" - not a Richard Hell song, but it was listed as one when I downloaded it, so I left it that way. kinda funny. bit Zappa-esque...

Fuck yes, I remember Love Cums in Spurts. Great song, but made me laugh at the title.
Do you remember Spiv Bators (I think it was) with a tune called This is the Last Year of My Life?
Got plenty a Johnnie and the Heartbreakers. There's a great live CD where they do Chinese Rocks with Johnnie and Walter both yelling out the Chinese Cock part. Hilarious.
Good to see some Heartbreaker fans on the board.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  08:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitewatersky

i love Beautiful Day. it was the first U2 song in years that actually got me interested in them. must ssay tho, i bought that last album and listened to it (kinda) once.....

but then i did finally get into Achtung Baby about 3 years after it was released..... can't say i'm in any rush to buy the new U2 record tho...

Puhlease...not U2. OK, sorry,similar to your thoughts, I do like a few of their tunes like Still Haven't Found what I'm looking For, but...having seen them live, I was not at all impressed. My cousin had tix for a show they did in Houston a few years ago. Aside from being deafeningly and thunderously loud, they were the most mediocre musicians I have ever seen in a long time. That 'Edge" guy just does not know how to play the guitar. Pitiful. He has NO EDGE. Ditto bassist and drummer, and I hate Bono especially for his ridiculous name (sounds like Give the Dog a Bono). To his credit, he has advocated positive social change in public forums, and I applaud him for that, but not for his singing. What amazes me, is how many new singers I hear from time to time, actually trying to sound like him,or yeccch Eddie Veder. End of rant. Peace, bro'.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  08:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Today, continue on with the Croz' Burnie. That Porcupine Tree song is high art until they nearly ruin it with that fuzz guitar. Haunting, eerie melody and instrumentation, then..wha??? Still, great tune though.
And, Boomerang if'n you're reading this, I take back what I said about Mary My Dear. That tune on your recent offering is really outstanding, I mighta confused it with something else earlier due to the order of the songs.

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 01/07/2005 08:30:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

trik
Assistant Driver

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  08:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Send trik a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody heard the new Doves song or album?? I heard the new single yesterday... sounds pretty ALLLRRIIGGHHHTTT to me...

FUN FOR GIRLS.....http://www.davidandgoliathtees.com/games/throwrocks.html
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  09:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
And, Boomerang if'n you're reading this, I take back what I said about Mary My Hope. That tune on your recent offering is really outstanding, I mighta confused it with something else earlier due to the order of the songs.

No offense taken. Glad some people find them enjoyable. On the next two WAB discs I have planned, I only have 1 MMH song on there. You've pretty much heard the best of their stuff at this point anyway.

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  09:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard it yet!
is it released yet?
I'm on it...
I was concerned about their new one - considering how much more I love Lost Souls than Last Broadcast - however - Last Broadcast is still excellent - just didn't hit me near as powerfully as Lost Souls...

Edited by - rocket on 01/07/2005 09:12:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  09:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

Today...
Sonic Youth - "Theresa's Sound-world"
off - Dirty

I have lost virtaully all tolerance and interest in Sonic Youth because of oversaturation, and them being one of the most copied bands in the whole history of underground music. However, I still think Dirty is the absolute pinnacle of their talents. I dearly love that record and Theresa's sound world (track 3 isn't it?) was my favorite on that one by far.

Today, still rockin the live in Chicago 02' Wire recording.

Go to Top of Page

Zedhead
Assistant Driver

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  12:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Zedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

I haven't heard it yet!
is it released yet?
I'm on it...
I was concerned about their new one - considering how much more I love Lost Souls than Last Broadcast - however - Last Broadcast is still excellent - just didn't hit me near as powerfully as Lost Souls...

Ditto to that.. I looove Lost Souls.

"That boy sure does like his whammy bar..."
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  1:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomer0127

quote:
And, Boomerang if'n you're reading this, I take back what I said about Mary My Hope. That tune on your recent offering is really outstanding, I mighta confused it with something else earlier due to the order of the songs.

No offense taken. Glad some people find them enjoyable. On the next two WAB discs I have planned, I only have 1 MMH song on there. You've pretty much heard the best of their stuff at this point anyway.

Now, now my friend Boomer Rang...I did see you changed it. tsk tsk..I put that Mary My Dear thing in there on purpose, cause, well it sounds kinda cute. Nothing gets by the OLD man...

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  1:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by boomer0127

quote:

Now, now my friend Boomer Rang...I did see you changed it. tsk tsk..I put that Mary My Dear thing in there on purpose, cause, well it sounds kinda cute. Nothing gets by the OLD man...

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  1:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tee Hee. Sorry Uncle Eugene, my anality took over and just jumped... up... there... and changed it. I guess that's a violation of applicable laws to modify other's posts. If it's any consolation, my web browser never reloaded the forum and I was out of swervieland for about an hour before I decided to try a different browser. It was a bad karma event - it won't happen again. <sigh>

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  1:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The Bridge" - Paw
... Rocket you've outdone yourself. Your packet of discs will make a perfect soundtrack for this grey afternoon. I'm doing two of my favorite activities though, listening to music and cooking, Chicken Kiev tonight, Hoorah!
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  2:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sweetness! - You are going to love Autolux! Listen to it now - listen to it now!

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  4:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Sweet - Live 73

One of the best rock and roll records ever made. Yep, you heard me.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  6:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
God, what a mindblast. The Sweet. Thanks for jogging the old memory. Now I can die in peace. Loper, you amaze me.
Earhole? Probably should be the name of a new band, but it's probably been done.

The reviews on Autolux suggest that they are the shit. Will have to introduce them to my earhole LOL.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  6:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moenkopi46_2

"The Bridge" - Paw
... Rocket you've outdone yourself. Your packet of discs will make a perfect soundtrack for this grey afternoon. I'm doing two of my favorite activities though, listening to music and cooking, Chicken Kiev tonight, Hoorah!

Chicken Kiev? I'm coming over for dinner! One of my alltime favs...

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3330 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  6:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I love the Sweet.

The earhole thing is a P-Funkism

Go to Top of Page

kickcat
Swervelette

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  9:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit kickcat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
chris knox... croaker.... liberal backlash angst (the excuse).... i know i know its old.... but good

honey you make the bee's ROCK...www.wearethekicks.com
Go to Top of Page

Melwas
Assistant Driver

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  01:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today it would have to be Adam's Sci-Flyer live from the Fez

(Thanks WhiteWaterSky!!!!!)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page